Miter saw blade

Chet

I have a Porter Cable miter saw and I am looking to replace the original blade.  I didn't realize until just the other day that it was a 40 tooth blade which, with what what I have learned seems a bit rough for a miter saw.   I have had it sharpened many times and I think it is just getting to the point of "I'm done".  I recently started using Freud rip, cross cut and plywood blades on my table saw.  I use the miter saw for Miters and most of my finish cross cuts unless the material is too wide, then I use the table saw.  I was looking at their LU88R012 Thin Kerf but would be interested in the opinions of all of you who have more experience then me - Pros, Cons.

Some go for the expensive blades.....I usually go to the Home Depot - it's closest to me....and buy a Freud 10" blade with a lot of teeth...60, 90, teeth? It depends on what the wallet will afford. One will last me a while anyway and i get good results.  I just can't imagine that paying 3 times the price can give me 3 times the results and longevity.

• Like 1

Crosscuts are generally easier on the motor, so there's less incentive to risk the possible drawbacks of a thin kerf blade....especially true with a 12" span.  I'd stick with a good quality full kerf blade with and ATB, ATB/R, or Hi-ATB grind and 60-100T.  IMO the LU80 or LU85 would be a better choice than the LU88 in this case.  The Infinity 012-090, CMT 205.072.12or Forrest Chopmaster would be some other excellent choices.  

• 2 weeks later...

Crosscuts are generally easier on the motor, so there's less incentive to risk the possible drawbacks of a thin kerf blade....especially true with a 12" span.  I'd stick with a good quality full kerf blade with and ATB, ATB/R, or Hi-ATB grind and 60-100T.  IMO the LU80 or LU85 would be a better choice than the LU88 in this case.  The Infinity 012-090, CMT 205.072.12or Forrest Chopmaster would be some other excellent choices.  

I have been satisfied with the Freud 12" LU85 (96-tooth).  After thousands of cuts and numerous sharpenings it still produces little to no tear out and nearly polished end grain.