Faces

wouldwurker

I know a lot of music, particularly classic rock.  It's what I memorized instead of math in my formative years

That said, not sure how I've not listened to Faces until this morning.  I've had them on spinning on spotify this am....every song is really good.  Like, really good.

Few of them though remind me of other songs though:

Debris sounds like Allmans Bros - Mellissa

Stone sounds like Beatles - Norwegian Wood

Flying sounds like Blind Faith - Can't find my way home

That said, I'm surprised that in all the musical circles I've run through over the years when I was a working musician, nobody ever mentioned Faces.

It sounds like you're listening to "A Nod is as Good as a Wink to a Blind Horse".

Try out "Ooh La La" too; it's quite good. I had it on vinyl back in the day and the album cover was sort of like a pop-up book except you bend the thing and the man pictured rolls his eyes.

Ronny Lane and Ian McLagan I think went on to play on most of Rod Stewart's solo albums.

Of course, Ronny Wood went to the Stones.

Dave

I grew up listening to them and other non-mainstream music. Faces is/was great. Rod Stewart used to be Punk Rock! Stewart has mentioned a few times that the band has talked about getting back together, but I've not heard anything about that in a while. Probably wont happen. I love the old punk rock roots music. Check out these bands too:

The Dictators

Flamin' Groovies

Gang of Four

MC5

The Modern Lovers

New York Dolls

Pere Ubu

Television

The Tubes

Wire

and well of course there are the more famous folks like

Lou Reed, T. Rex, Marc Bolan, The Stooges, Iggy Pop, Velvet Underground

My dad was in a band called The Legend, back in the late 60s. They had a great album called Dragonfly. It's not punk roots, more psych/heavy metal roots. You can check that too if you like at http://www.http://shanej.com/the_legend/

Happy listening!

• Like 1

I'm not much of a Rod Stewart fan but Faces were pretty killer.  Ronnie Lane later did an album with Pete Townshend called Rough Mix that I've always loved.  And of course no introduction necessary for Ronnie Wood.  They really were an underrated band and still are.  Thanks for the reminder Vinny...I'll have to give them a spin this evening!

The scary thing is I've morphed into my dad. I now find I'm saying things like "There's no tune" when hearing the latest popular beat combos and "They didn't do things like that in my day"  when seeing that Cyrus woman twerking on TV.

Bring back The Faces I say. Now where is my pipe and my rocking chair? I need to rock away to Pantera, Dream Theater and Sabbath - now they don't write em like that anymore..

• Like 1

Hey " V " does she remember them all? That's nothing to be embarrassed about.

I'd have to ask her about these specifically...in general she's far more musically-aware than me.  My parents were older (compared to kids my grade in school) and they were both raised by their respective grandparents...so they're very old school.   I grew up with my dad listening to Barabara Mandrell...my wife was named Stephanie because her mom's favorite band was Fleetwood Mac. =p  We have basically zero overlap in musical tastes.

I love this thread because it makes me feel young... I don't think I've ever even heard of any of the bands or albums or songs mentioned. My wife would be so embarrassed by this posting.

Well, I'm so old that I don't know who they are talking about either....My wife wouldn't be embarrassed by this post because she doesn't know them either. :)

Rog

Well, I'm so old that I don't know who they are talking about either....My wife wouldn't be embarrassed by this post because she doesn't know them either. :)

Well in her defense I'm often an embarassment to my poor wife.  I don't know where "anywhere" is, but it must be a too nice of a place for me because she can't take me there.

The scary thing is I've morphed into my dad. I now find I'm saying things like "There's no tune" when hearing the latest popular beat combos and "They didn't do things like that in my day"  when seeing that Cyrus woman twerking on TV.

I feel the same way. Growing up my dad listened to doo-wops and the beach boys and groups of that era. I used to hate it so much, and now that I'm older and I hear stuff on the radio like Nikki Minaj and all these other talentless bums, it makes me pine for the days of Toto, Wham, David Bowie, Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, etc. (I was an 80s kid)

I'm in my 30s but I have the musical taste of a guy in his 60s, thanks to my dad.  He was a music nut and drilled it into my head since birth.  I was raised on The Beatles, The Who, Stones, Moody Blues, The Byrds, The Band, Simon & Garfunkel, Dylan, Neil Young, Van Morrison, Jackson Browne, Springsteen,...and every other band and musician in any of those universes.  I don't listen to much of anything that was made after the early 80s.  Garbage.