What do you finish your cutting boards with?

Tom Cancelleri

I've only made one, but used Watco Butcher Block.  It's more of a wiping varnish with a (poly?) resin, unlike the other butcher block oils out there (which I understand are just mineral spirits)

First coat goes on like Danish Oil (wipe on wipe off).  Second coat goes on like arm-r-seal. Really builds up thick.  Nice semi-gloss finish.

Been holding up so far, knife marks but nothing unexpected.  Cleans up very nice with soap and water.

post-15261-0-50401100-1417618655_thumb.j

I've only made one, but used Watco Butcher Block.  It's more of a wiping varnish with a (poly?) resin, unlike the other butcher block oils out there (which I understand are just mineral spirits)

First coat goes on like Danish Oil (wipe on wipe off).  Second coat goes on like arm-r-seal. Really builds up thick.  Nice semi-gloss finish.

Been holding up so far, knife marks but nothing unexpected.  Cleans up very nice with soap and water.

just don't pass out and land on that finish support.  that actually is pretty cool

The real question is, what kind of beer is in that glass?

General finishes salad bowl oil or usually I use Howard Butcher block conditioner. I've used costco mineral oil in the past but I like the workability and sheen more of the Howard conditioner . I was wondering about the same thing cancel with the nails. I've had painters pyramids leave tracks (albeit tiny) in hardwood I would think nail ends would do worse.

Vinny,

Don't you worry about all the nails in the back of your project creating little dents in the wood? The steel of the nail is harder than the wood. Why not use plastic or painters pyramids?

Same reason you can sleep on a bed of nails I suppose.  It's a mass and surface area issue.  Plus, they're not pointy.

My work tends to slide around, even if just a little bit, on the pyramids leaving streaks.  Not a big fan.

Mostly, I use these for parts that don't have a lot of mass.  There's just not enough gravity force to create dents.  No issues on pine either.  It's soft, but just not heavy enough.

Vinny,

Don't you worry about all the nails in the back of your project creating little dents in the wood? The steel of the nail is harder than the wood. Why not use plastic or painters pyramids?

Not a worry...I use nail-boards all the time. The sharper the nails the better, nearly impossible to fine the little "prick" in the finish. My go to, are small wood blocks with a single sharp wood screw through the center. You can position them anywhere on the piece.  

-Ace-

I'd probably only use mineral oil on my own boards because you have to maintain it pretty regularly, and if I make a board for a gift I really don't want to give too much 'work' along with it.  salad bowl finish is great and doesn't build a film if you apply it properly, and it needs very little maintenance.  mineral oil is really nice though, and IMO the best way to apply it is to soak the board in a vat of mineral oil for a day or so then take it out, wipe it down until you've removed all the excess, and let it cure for a few days. after that, even if you use the board a lot the only real maintenance you need to do is a quick rub down with more oil maybe monthly or so.  perhaps a light sanding and then oil every few months. 

did you sand in between coats? I also have read the smell lasts a pretty long time?

I'd probably only use mineral oil on my own boards because you have to maintain it pretty regularly, and if I make a board for a gift I really don't want to give too much 'work' along with it.  salad bowl finish is great and doesn't build a film if you apply it properly, and it needs very little maintenance.  mineral oil is really nice though, and IMO the best way to apply it is to soak the board in a vat of mineral oil for a day or so then take it out, wipe it down until you've removed all the excess, and let it cure for a few days. after that, even if you use the board a lot the only real maintenance you need to do is a quick rub down with more oil maybe monthly or so.  perhaps a light sanding and then oil every few months. 

Can you (or anyone) explain what is meant? Simply following the directions, not applying too many coats, what?