Help with chisels and stones

mrrhode04

I am looking to get a set of chisels and anything else that I will need to maintain them. I have heard a lot of good things about the Sweetheart chisels, are they that good? I don't like to buy things that I am just going to have to replace in a year or two because they don't work that well.

Here are a few questions:

What chisels do you recommend?

Would you recommend using stones to sharpen the chisels, if so what grits and any recommendations on brands?

Would it be a good idea to get a jig to sharpen them, if so which one is a good jig?

Anything else I should know?

I just went through this myself and purchased two sets of Wood River chisels (Woodcraft's brand) along with several stones and the Veritas Honing Guide.  This was just to introduce me to the sport...  I had consider uping the ante and going for some better chisels and a Tormek but figured I'd wait it out to see how much I use them and get comfortable.

lnYrFx8l.jpg

There are some Tormek guys for sharpening I'm sure but I have the Woodriver chisels and am very happy. I also bought from Woodcraft the machined granite plate. I use a mix of sand paper and Japanese water stones from Norton. The higher the grit stone is pretty much just polishing but I like mirror finish. I use sand paper on my granite from 150 to 600 and then switch to my 800 stone 1000 stone then  finish with my 6000 stone. I have the Veritas honing jig which works great. There are tons of youtube vids for sharpening. This way uses a lot of elbow grease but great results. I used to flatten my water stones with sand paper on the granite but I bought a flattening stone that works better and faster for that.

I bought a set of the Stanley Sweethearts shortly after they came out and I like them.  I don't have a lot of experience with other chisels though, so take my input with a grain of salt.  I bought the set of 8 on sale, and while a good deal IMO, you should be able to make do with a smaller set, or just buy the sizes you use most.  The chisels came mostly in good shape, although all needed at least a little work to get the back flat.  One, I think the 1/2 chisel, required a lot of work but I think it's because my sharpening media wasn't good enough (see below).

Narex chisels get quite a few good reviews.

As for sharpening, I can only relate my experience.  I started with the ScarySharp process, basically sandpaper on plate glass.  This worked well on the Sweethearts, although I had one chisel that was pretty out of flat on the back and it took a while to get it flat using the sandpaper.  Once lapped and sharpened though, they've served me well.  I did get a leather bench strop to help put a fine edge on them.

I now use exclusively water stones, along with a DMT diamond plate for any initial serious work on an edge or back.  I got the diamond plate because when I got some planes with A2 blades, they basically laughed at any attempt I made to hone their backs with sandpaper.  The diamond plate makes quick work of any lapping or initial work on an edge, and then followed up with water stones (1000, 4000, 8000) to get a nice flat back and sharp edge.  I think the lapping problem I had with the chisels mentioned above would have been a non-issue with either the diamond plate and/or water stones.

I have the Veritas MKII guide and I recommend it.  It's good for chisels and also plane blades.

I have a set of narex chisels and love them. i also have one stanley sweetheard socket chisel (1/2 inch) and it seems pretty much comparable to the narex, I do like the feel of the handles on the stanley only slightly more, and the socket is nice too.  they're both similarly priced and very reasonable at that for a starter set.  IIRC the wood rivers are also in the same price ballpark and are very likely comparable in quality.

i have nothing to compare them to though as these are the only chisels i've ever owned, so my 2c.

For opinions wide and varied see the sticky in Hand Tools 

Thinking of Stanley's? My 2cents 

Honing guide/jig, see reviews of the much copied "Eclipse" style side clamping type, everyone and their dog seems to have a copy  Tom King's comment in that thread, gold! This type of jig is enjoyed by David Charlesworth. Great value too!

For methods, browse youtube

For media, not important really. I like an oilstone  8" x 2" Norton India combo Stone. The key thing above anything is getting sharp to suit your work. An expensive blunt chisel is no use. A sharp dime store chisel is useable. Have fun but don't over think anything too much

Graham, Thanks for the review. Always a pleasure watching your videos.

I just ordered these from amazon thru The WoodWhisperer and Stanley is allowing a $10 discount and everyone is happy :D

• Like 1

I'll give a +1 on the sharpening over high-end chisels. I make do quite nicely with a motley collection of Stanley, Craftsman, and Irwins. I mix HF diamond plates, sandpaper, and assorted oil stones, depending on the condition of the edge. Followed by a strop, and touched up on the strop mostly.

Very sharp and very usable. And mostly cheap, 'cuz that's how I roll....

• Like 1

My 2 cents on sharpening: watch Marc's video on sharpening, then go buy the same Shapton Pro stones that he uses.  If you order from Stu at toolsfromjapan.com it will be much cheaper than Amazon or any other US supplier.  I wasted a lot of time and money on sandpaper, a surface plate, cheap water stones, and diamond plates that I don't use any more because the Shaptons work so much better and faster.

OK, so it seems that the Veritas is the go to guide for a lot of people. When it comes to stones it seems what ever you are comfortable spending money on. I like the idea of the Shapton stones since all you do is spray some water on them and go, you don't have to soak them for a period of time. At the most it seems like you only need three primary grits, some where in the 1000, 5000 and 8000 and then you need something to flatten them.