Largest chisel you use and a bonus random question

Tony Wilkins

What is the largest chisel you use on a regular basis?

Or do you think it's useful to have a chisel over an inch?

Here's why I ask: I see that Shannon and others recommend a larger chisel for pairing - usually in the 1 1/2 to 2 inch range. My current largest is 1 inch; I have gat size in both Blue spruce long pairing chisel and an LN socket.

Bonus random question: is 4/4 thick enough for a dining table top with bread board ends?

5/4 the smallest i would go unless youre running an apron around the table top. Your work flow and methods should answer the question about the chisel size as opposed to what you see in a video. If you find yourself in a situation where you wish you had a larger chisel more than a few times, theres your answer.

I have a 2", and use it!  ;)

It seems my most used sizes are 1/4" and the 2", then maybe the 3/4".

- The 1/4" is my favorite size for cleaning dovetails, or other end grain stuff like relieving the inside edges of tenons, zipping off the occassional little nub on table sawn tenon edge shoulders...   I use less than half of it on each cut, push, slide, push, slide...   This concentrates a whole bunch of pressure in a small spot, making cutting easy and accurate.   

- The 2" is used for very light paring when I want to keep a surface flat and true.  It's also good for long grain edge breaking, in a rolling motion as you push, and mitering stringing and banding against a guide block.

- The 3/4" is used for knocking off edges, chamfering the inside edges of mortises, etc...

The rest get picked up if something else is dull and I'm in a hurry...

The largest chisel i have is  a 1.5" chisel, and I use it frequently.    

For a little perspective on chisels, I decided a number of years ago that I wanted a premium set of chisels, but to justify the cost, I would only buy a subset of them, of what seemed to be the most used sizes.  So that I could spread over the cost as well, I bought one or two at a time.  Half way through this process I got talked into buying a complete set.   Fast forward to today, I am VERY happy to have a complete set, and do not regret spending the money on them one bit.  The chisels that I thought to be odd sizes have ended up being some of my most used ones. 

Based on my own experience, when it comes to chisels sizes, buy as many as you are able.  You won't regret it.

The largest chisel i have is  a 1.5" chisel, and I use it frequently.    

For a little perspective on chisels, I decided a number of years ago that I wanted a premium set of chisels, but to justify the cost, I would only buy a subset of them, of what seemed to be the most used sizes.  So that I could spread over the cost as well, I bought one or two at a time.  Half way through this process I got talked into buying a complete set.   Fast forward to today, I am VERY happy to have a complete set, and do not regret spending the money on them one bit.  The chisels that I thought to be odd sizes have ended up being some of my most used ones. 

Based on my own experience, when it comes to chisels sizes, buy as many as you are able.  You won't regret it.

Chisels, clamps and money... There's never enough!

I have a 2" firmer chisel that I very rarely use. I do have an 1-3/4" bench chisel that I use though. Both those came from a Craigs list equivalent sale and must have been part of a deceased persons toolkit.

4/4 might be ok. Depends on length and width and whether you are using aprons.

I just bought a set of blue sheffield marples from ebay last week.  It came 5 chisels up to 1/2" and then a 2".  I've yet to use them, but i really didn't expect the large chisel to be useful.  Actually, I had tentatively planned on reselling it.  After reading this thread i'm thinking that it may prove useful afterall.