Fiancé's Jewelry Armoire

minorhero

Well its past time that I started on my next big project. And boy is this one a doozy. 

There are lots of things in this build I have never done before. So I really could use some advice about the build and ways to make things easier on myself. The armoire itself is HUGE. The idea is that this one piece of furniture will hold all the jewelry my fiance will ever own. Currently she doesn't have enough to fill even one of the bigger drawers in case anyone is wondering ;)

Ultimately the build will include a separate piece which will sit on-top of the armoire that will contain more storage for necklaces and have a mirrored door(s). I have been having a hard time designing one that my fiance liked so I am putting that piece on the back-burner right now and instead proceeding with the larger build. 

I am thinking of making the entire thing from solid wood. Walnut for most of the pieces with the possibility of a contrasting color for the drawer fronts. The sides are all made from floating panels. For the inside secondary wood I am going to use cheaper wood. My hardwood supplier has beach, ash, and (soft) ambrosia maple all for about the same price. So any tips on which of those woods is easiest to work with or best for this purpose would be greatly appreciated.

The vertical pullouts are for necklaces and my own design. I rounded the bottom of those to allow for less friction. No idea if they will work or not, So I would also love some feedback there.

The drawer rails are attached with 2 screws to allow for adjustments incase of binding.

Included in the sketchup file are also some older designs that I created (or started to create) before I showed them to my fiance. She was very particular about what she liked, which does make it a lot easier when trying to come up with new designs. The drawers are not really to scale. The only thing you should take away from them is my plan to use dowels and my plan to use wooden slides on the edges.

Here is a link to the sketchup file.

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model.html?id=ud26f5354-de41-46ab-a456-4f23dc6f8925

And here are some pictures showing the model. Feedback is VERY welcome.

post-171-0-15823300-1417747840_thumb.jpg

post-171-0-29337100-1417747843_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

That looks very neat - i'm looking forward to seeing it come together.

The vertical drawers are a nice idea.  I have a little concern with how much they'll tip downward as they are pulled out. The farther you pull the more it'll dip unless those drawer slides are very tight fitting.  Though, making them tight fitting would likely make them harder to slide due to friction.

How about having adding some restraint so they can't tip forward and fall out when fully extended?

post-15737-0-23549100-1417771822_thumb.j post-15737-0-69700400-1417771825_thumb.j

Comments are built into the images to describe the suggestion.  In general, there would be a nub on the top of each drawer and another nub at the front of the cabinet rail guides (no nubs on bottom of drawers).  This way the drawers can't tip out due to gravity because the drawer nub would hit the cabinet nub, but you could still remove them by tilting them the opposite way if you need to.  This nub idea may not be necessary if you wife doesn't intend on pulling the drawers out to full extension.

I love the nib idea. I had been trying to think of a way of stopping the draw from coming out but all of my ideas were more elaborate. Yours is very simple.

Any thoughts on which wood to use for a secondary wood? I have never worked with ash it beech before. I have worked a little bit with soft maple but never ambrosia. I doubt the Beatle makes much difference there though.