S4S from Big Box

Illini40

Hey everyone,

I am currently limited if working with pine and poplar from the big box stores for starting out. I do not have a jointer or planer, but I do have a table saw.

While the pine and poplar is sold as S4S, is it really square/straight enough?

Would a jointer help square this material even more? Or, would there not be much to gain?

I'm just doing some basic projects and nothing super high end, so trying to come to a final decision if I can get by without milling tools and buying these types of lumber from big box.

**Disclaimer - yes, I am fully aware that in a perfect world, I would buy a jointer and planer, along with finding a hardwood dealer and buying rough sawn hardwood. Unfortunately, I'm not in that situation yet.

Thank you

You answered your own question, partner.  BORG lumber is good enough to get started, but in order to take your work to the next level, you're gonna have to get the tools needed to get you there.  Without a way of milling your own lumber to the dimensions you want, you're extremely limited.  You can do it for way cheaper with handplanes if you learn how and you're a lunatic who gets a kick out of that kind of busy work.

Just a side note , if you have a local lumber yard you may be able to buy those same woods cheaper at the lumber yard even if they mill it for you . S4S clear pine at my local LY runs around $1.75 LF for 1x6s . It may be worth your time to check into a local wood supplier like a lumber yard or sawmill depending where your located .

I have spent years building nearly every thing out of pine from the box stores and the local lumber yards including my kitchen cabinets and vanities in my new house, nearly everyone that sees them is dumbfounded they were not only built in the basement in less than a week but for around 500 bucks. 

here is the vanity from the master bath unfinished.

1479572_626215730752939_678754080_n.jpg?

with out a planer, drum sander or jointer, a belt sander and small plane are your best friends, I generally did not even buy the good stuff I would usually sort through the #2 or #3 it is about 1/2 the price

• Like 1

I think the answer is "Yes".

You can get some good woodworking dome with the S4S stuff.

It may be expensive by the board foot.

Sure..it won't be as square as if you had freshly milled it.

Sure...it may frustrate you a little and eventually you'll want some milling capabilities.

In the meanwhile, you can use that lumber and build wonderful projects.

Dave

I have spent years building nearly every thing out of pine from the box stores and the local lumber yards including my kitchen cabinets and vanities in my new house, nearly everyone that sees them is dumbfounded they were not only built in the basement in less than a week but for around 500 bucks. 

with out a planer, drum sander or jointer, a belt sander and small plane are your best friends, I generally did not even buy the good stuff I would usually sort through the #2 or #3 it is about 1/2 the price

You did a Helluva job!!!

Nice looking piece

Very nice work!