My drug dealer's office (photo dump)

Eric.

Some pics of my hardwood dealer's inventory.  This is where I spend my weekends working the register and shooting the breeze with other woodworkers.  I get to help a lot of newbies out with their projects, which is great fun.  In my spare time I dig through the new shipments and cull out the picks of the litter.  Nice perk.  :)

Walnut slabs...

slabs.jpg

Wall o' erotics...

wallexotics.jpg

WIDE cherry boards.  These two are bookmatched.  Awesome.  That's right...that's THREE FEET.  What you would do with them at 4/4, I'm not really sure, but still...awesome.

widecherry.jpg

Wide QSWO.  These are what's left of a once-in-a-lifetime pack.  The biggest ones have been sold...up to 22" wide.  I've personally never seen QSWO boards that wide, but here they are...

wideqswo.jpg

It was impossible to get a good pic of this board, but this piece of 8/4 zebrawood is 15'5" long and 20" wide.  :o  For the low, low price of two grand, it can be yours.  <_< ...

bigzebra.jpg

More zebrawood.  I like the rift- and quarter-sawn boards myself.  Flat-sawn just doesn't do it for me.  The grain gets too wild and kind of muddled...

zebra.jpg

Purpleheart and Chakte Vega.  Circus wood...

chakandpurp.jpg

Some wicked figured Katalox...

figkat.jpg

Pomele Sapele.  It's 8/4.  Oh my...

pomsap.jpg

Bocote...

bocote.jpg

Wall o' nut.  Inspiration abounds.  And plenty more where that came from...at a price...

wallnut.jpg

The curly maples.  Dig a little deeper and you'll find boards that GLOW...

curly.jpg

Maples with the eyes of birds.  Some amazing boards in here, some not so amazing...

bird.jpg

What's left of my own personal mahogany stash.  Genuine.   Most of it is in my shop up on my racks.  Haven't worked off the rest yet...

genmahog.jpg

And, finally, my latest acquisition...more mahogany, a couple curly cherry boards, and some 8/4 rift-sawn walnut...how often do you see THAT these days?  Not very.  Did someone say Maloof lowbacks?  :D ...

acq.jpg

I'm not sure I could ever work at such a place. I'd have a negative paycheck balance every week. Looks fun though!

This is definitely not a "profitable" endeavor for me. LOL  I do it for fun and for essentially "free" lumber.  It's pretty much a waste of my time financially, and it further saps my already limited shop time, but I just can't stop.  I'm perpetually working off some stack of boards that I've picked out and set aside...so there's never a logical time to quit, if I were ever inclined to do so.  You can call it a kind of addiction I guess.  Hard to give it up.  :)

That's some good wood right thurr. Take good care of em Eric and don't let them get into the hands of a good ol hacker. You know, those guys that take beautiful boards and install tear out, saw blade marks, silly sanding and drunk curves. In the best interest of beautiful lumber of course.  :D

• Like 1

That's some good wood right thurr. Take good care of em Eric and don't let them get into the hands of a good ol hacker. You know, those guys that take beautiful boards and install tear out, saw blade marks, silly sanding and drunk curves. In the best interest of beautiful lumber of course.  :D

Freddie...  You can pick your friends, you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your....  Oh, never mind..  Be selective Eric, please!

It never ceases to amaze me...the greenest of greenhorns will come in and drop huge beans on very high-dollar stuff after sifting through the stacks for an hour...boards that are destined to be hacked up beyond recognition.  And five minutes later a veteran craftsman who's been at it for 30 years will come in and grab whatever 10 poplar boards happen to be sitting at the top of the stack.

I'll admit it...more than once I've steered a newbie away from a beautiful board that I've been eyeballing for my own collection.  "Let me show you this, though...I think you'll really like this."  (As I casually removed my precious board from the clutch of his monkey paws.) LOL

On the other hand, we have some fine woodworkers who are regulars and I've gotten chummy with them, and it brings me joy to introduce them to a magnificent specimen I've hidden at the back of a stack, since I know they'll do something worthy of its glory, and I simply haven't the space nor the plans to do anything with it.

But it is a shame to see a great board scooped up and sent off to the slaughterhouse.  But hey, it IS a business, and it IS just wood, and if your money is green, then this board is yours for the mangling. :)

Ladies and gentlemen, that right there is a man doing all he can to keep good lumber from going bad!

• Like 2

The reason I found this site is a nearby mill I just recently discovered, that mill has also been haunting me in the dark of night, it has caused me to invest in tools I had never cared to own and most likley changed the course of my future, it is a place called Frank Miller lumber company, or "FML" for short, I kid you not.