How does advertising here know where I've been?

Tom Crawford

Yesterday afternoon I went to the Canon site (using Safari on my MAC)  to look at Cameras, primarily the 5D but a couple others,  for my wife. This morning when I went to this forum the first 6-8 or so adds were for the Canon model I looked at in the most depth and also the were a couple ads for Nikon high end cameras.  Has the Ad service placed something on my computer or is it looking at my cookies each time I load a new page?  I feel this is a bit more of an intrusion than I signed up for.

Thanks all.  Eric you're right on your number 3.  I guess my surprise was that I had not used Google yesterday and had assumed the ads here were brought by google and it used it's cookie stash to serve ads.  Oh Well.   And I don't mind the ads being here as I've learned to mostly not see them.  I think the Canon ones today cought my eye because of the picture of the camera I was considering.

I also just installed Little Snitch  http://www.obdev.at/products/littlesnitch/index.html  and am surprised at how many different servers Safari goes to when I click on a topic here. Also there ALOT of different things going out on the net constantly.  

The targeted advertising is done through the placement of tracking cookies on your computer. As a previous poster has suggested, use Chrome and install the free AdBlock extension. You can also go further and install another Chrome extension called Ghostery (another good one is called Disconnect, personally I run both) that blocks the placement of tracking cookies on your computer in the first place. Also find and ensure your browser has enabled 'do not track'. 

• Like 1