Jet Parallel Clamp Issue

Pwk5017

I feel dumb even asking, but is there a bit of finesse involved with using Jet's quick release lever? I just bought 4 new ones during the 50 off sale to go along with my 6 Bessey K body Revos. So far, my opinion is "these things SUCK!". The quick release lever makes the carriage stutter and stick every half inch. It is driving me nuts, so I am opening myself up to public ridicule for being a dumby. Do they need to be oriented a certain way? Am I applying too much pressure on the lever? I have watched a few reviews on them, and each guy is sliding them just as easy as my besseys slide. The only difference I can discern is the orientation of the clamp--the youtube videos have the handle up when sliding the carriage, I have been using my clamps with the handle down. Not sure if that matters or not....

Patrick

Yep.  It seems weird but you'll get better at opening and closing them with practice.  There's a sweet spot and when you find it they'll slide with ease.  Once they get boogered up with glue though...back to square one.  They're a little fiddly but I don't know an alternative.  Wanna deal with pipe clamps? :blink:

Yep. It seems weird but you'll get better at opening and closing them with practice. There's a sweet spot and when you find it they'll slide with ease. Once they get boogered up with glue though...back to square one. They're a little fiddly but I don't know an alternative. Wanna deal with pipe clamps? :blink:

Paste wax on the bars will help prevent glue from sticking to the bars.

But that requires effort.

I used to wax mine, but it doesn't last forever and it seems to not prevent glue sticking in the little grooves.  Maybe I didn't slather mine up good enough.  I just deal with it...I don't find it to be that big a deal.  Every once in a while I'll take a beater chisel and knock off the dried blobs.  Good as new! :)

I was also less than impressed with the Jet clamps I picked up on the Black Friday sale.

They were a little tricky to get the, to open the first few times. I also didn't like the fact that the threads on them are cast, and the casting is a little on the rough side. I have Jorgensen cabinet masters and a couple of the Bessey Revos and I think I prefer them both to the Jet clamps.

I will say it's nice to not have the clamps "accidentally" close when you are moving them around, I've pinched a few fingers that way..

I am getting better at the sliding, but I still find these clamps to be grossly inferior to the bessey revos. The handle isn't nearly as nice. The action isn't as smooth, and I find they don't exert as much pressure as the bessey's. I don't know what the regular price comparison is(I bought my besseys at the lowes' sale, and jets on sale), but I wont even consider Jet clamps in the future. Bessey all the way. I will use these a bit longer, then probably sell them on CL or ebay for 40-50% off retail and get my money back for future Besseys.

I don't know if this was the key to it or not, but it seems like in addition to the release lever, you need to wiggle the handle a bit to get it to slide freely. I can get them to slide pretty well by moving the handle towards the bar while compressing the lever.