Cutting boards... Is Christmas over yet?

Tom Cancelleri

I've been cranking out christmas stuff and I still have the most difficult of things to do. I'm knocking out 2 end grain cutting boards, then it's onto segmented salad bowls

Planing

IMAG2103.jpg

All planed

IMAG2104.jpg

S4S All ripped to 1 3/4 on the table saw

IMAG2105.jpg

Laying out the grain before jointing and gluing.

IMAG2106.jpg

IMAG2107.jpg

• Like 1

I would suggest alternating them so that all the clamps aren't pulling the same way..  One under, next one over, etc...  Helps to keep it flat.  Looks great tho!

I flip em after the glue on top is scraped off. Though I've never had a problem with parallel clamps pulling. F clamps i have.  

Tom is that wax paper you're using to prevent the glue from getting on the clamps and other surfaces?  Oh it looks to me like you "coulda squoze" one more clamp on there :)

Dave, I always use wax paper when gluing pretty much anything. Keeps my clamps clean, and any surfaces underneath clean. I should really get a dispenser and cutter to hang on the wall for it. 

I think he meant that you alternate the growth ring cups up and down when doing the initial glue up.  Like some advocate doing in order to keep panels flat.

Thankyou that's what I was talking about. Does this help keeping the boards flat ? I don't plan on making end grain boards only because of the wood I'm using (curly maple) I want the figure to show.

Thankyou that's what I was talking about. Does this help keeping the boards flat ? I don't plan on making end grain boards only because of the wood I'm using (curly maple) I want the figure to show.

If I'm showing off a great face grain, I don't worry about alternating them.  I do try to keep my boards thicker tho which helps significantly!

Sorry for the confusion.