My thoughts on the 'if I finish it will be wrong syndrome'

Tony Wilkins

Tried my hand at blogging again (link in sig) and here's what I wrote:

It’s been a while since I’ve been out to my workbench (more on that in a different entry).  I went out to dust off my tools and straighten up in preparation for what i hope would be an imminent return to working at it.  What I discovered was a few projects in various states of completion.  It’s then that I self-diagnosed a serious complex – with no respects to the DSM I call it ‘if I finish it will be wrong’ syndrome.

I figure it must be a corollary condition to perfectionism.  I peer over the stacked and leaned bits of a shaker table.  All the pieces aside from the drawer are at least roughed dimensioned.  The top is glued up, flattened, and basically ready to be put in place.  Aye and there’s the rub.  It’s not perfect.  It’s a little smaller than I intended – due to that perfectionism thing.  Every time I look at it I see imperfection so there it sits.

The there’s the Dutch chest.  The sides and bottom are ready to be dovetailed.  I cut the dovetails on the first side – my first dovetails ever.  But – yes you guessed it – they weren’t perfect.  I cut them fine – so I believe – but when I went to chisel out the waste I was a bit aggressive.  So it was set aside as I pondered whether to cut them off and try again.  What exactly is the record for the shortest dutch chest anyway?

So there you have it – my neuroses laid bare.  I know the cure – just do it.  If you see completed projects here in the future you’ll know that I conquered them.  If you see me advertising firewood here (or the worlds shortest Dutch chest) then you’ll know I still have work to do on it.

So what do you think?

Very true.

I had a similar illness, and one day I just went to the shop and made something. It was actually an episode of Woodwright that set me straight. Watch the Enfield cupboard episode. In there he said the guys making the stuff didn't work by plans all the time. Instead they worked with the material on hand. They'd grab some wide stock and that's the sides, tongue and groove them and you have a back. You get the idea...

I learned that it was ok to just kinda go for it. It's my project, if it's a little shorter or longer who cares! I'll take the things I learned to the next project. Before too long you really get an idea of what details are important and which ones can be set aside until they arise.

It's really ok. Breathe, and cut some wood. ;)

I've had/have this same dilemma and throught the advise just went for it. Glad I did! The project turned out great and loved by my wife. I didn't tell her what was wrong that's a huge step for me. Learned a ton and now have four more to make as Christmas gifts si I guess I did something right. It wasn't exactly like the plan and that's ok! I've learned a ton and have so much joy and happiness while in the shop it spills over into the house.

I have a bad case of that syndrome.  And it's basically the reason I work at a snail's pace.  If I perform every task with great care and attention, mistakes are rarely made.  As soon as I try to rush through something, sloppy happens.  Fortunately I'm in a position where I'm usually not under any kind of deadline (aside from my current build...self-imposed deadline) so I can take as much time as is required to do things as well as I can do them.  If I make a major mistake, there's a great chance that project will never be completed.  I just have no interest in moving forward once a piece has been tainted with stupidity.

So my advice...slow down and don't screw up! :D

• Like 1

I agree to an extent.  Gaps in joinery add nothing but ugly, IMO.  A carefully hand-planed surface with faceted edges...that's a human touch I can embrace.  Wood filler doesn't really have a place in my work, personally.  If something needs to be filled, it's a mistake that should have been prevented.  Burn pile. LOL

• Like 1

It kind of depends on expectations, too... the first hand cut dovetails I did was for a little cherry tote for baby supplies with everything done with hand tools except the resaw.  One corner is not so great and the others are passable, the groove for the bottom went a little crooked when the fence on my combination plane slipped, but my wife really likes it and I'm not sure any woodworker but me has seen it.  So as far as any spectators needs to know, that's how an all hand tool build looks!  They don't need to know that Paul can make one that looks as precise as a router jig produced one.  If I showed it to a woodworker I wouldn't be ashamed, either, it was my first go at such a thing.

Now if I were to be selling it, I'd need to take on a work ethic more like Freddie.  For me or as a gift, it is ok for it to look like I made it while relaxing with a beer. 

Fixing a mistake is a daily part of the job.  Sometimes something does get tossed into the scrap bin, but as you gain experience, this occurs less, and less.  If you screw up a part, make another.  Expecting perfection is not realistic even for those of us who have been doing it for decades. 

• Like 2

This.

"if I finish it will be wrong syndrome"

Meh, who cares. Just keep making stuff, you'll gain experience and move on. The more you make the better you get, let go, move on.  :) 

I've yet to make a perfect project but I'm happy with the things I have made. I enjoy the making, the learning and the skill building. The finished project is just the product of that journey. 

• 3 weeks later...

I guess as far as craftsmanship is concerned I probably fall pretty much in the middle, maybe a little too much to the good enough side of it.  I don't want my handmade goods looking like they were batched out by Ikea but I don't want them to look like I didn't care about the outcome either.  I think it's a matter of retaining a proper perspective.  If you're making gifts or items for yourself and you're cutting the first or second batch of dovetails you've ever cut, you've got to have expectations that are realistic and (I dislike the word) appropriate.

My bigger flaw when it comes to making progress on the various projects I've got in varied stages of completion is a severe case of "get off my ass syndrome."  I've got a full time job and woodworking is my hobby.  It's way too easy to plunk down when I get home and think about getting to it later or the next day.  It's way too easy to let myself get distracted on the weekend and by the time I'm ready to do something constructive I've pissed away the whole day.

I'd love to trade a small amount of your syndrome for mine.  Maybe between the two of us we'd get something done.