art swap for craftsmen and artists.

duckkisser

couple years ago some of us did a turning swap where we each made something and exchanged it by drawn name. i realy enjoyed giving away something i made and  i was wondering if we wanted to do a art swamp again.  i have a bowl made by by Joseph Johnson. and i love the fact i have a product made from a fellow artist.   i have it siting in my office with all my odds and end in it.  so i was wondering if we wanted to do this again sometime after Christmas. maybe make some rules like cant cost over 10$ and it has to represent who you are as a artist/craftsmen.  is anyone interested in doing this? if enough people are interested in doing this after christmas then ill reach out to some of the other wood workers( more then just me :) ) in the hobby like the drunken wood worker and captain eddie castelin, carl jacobson maybe marc? and see if they want to join in on the fun.  

• Like 1

richard no i want to have as many people involved as possible im planing on reaching out to carvers, metal smiths, lapidary anyone inturested.  i want this to be a thing of brotherly love among makers all about give away to people who will love what you made.   

well 4 people already thinking i might reach out to other forums and some celebs in the community perhaps marc will chip in. would love to give something of mine to someone famous after all he is on tv  on rough cut and all  :) once i get things laid out and thought of ill put together something.  

• Like 2

Oh no you are going to make Dave buy a lathe before he even gets the rest of his stuff assembled. =p

I give it 2 months before Dave has a lathe. First time he makes something round he's gonna need one. My lathe gets the most run time in my shop. Just be careful your wife, family, friends and just about anyone doesn't start requesting you make pens for them all. Though it's a great way to learn some lathe basics, it's where I started on the lathe. 3 years later and I'm still getting pen requests.

if enough people are interested in doing this after christmas then ill reach out to some of the other wood workers( more then just me :) ) in the hobby like the drunken wood worker and captain eddie castelin, carl jacobson maybe marc? and see if they want to join in on the fun.  

FYI, I probably wouldn't attempt to contact Cap'n Eddie, as he has been going through some pretty serious health issues, with a lengthy recovery ahead of him.  :( 

Duck, your swap is a great idea. Having been in a number of swaps you might want to consider how you will match people.

Thought to get as many people involved and at the end of the time see how many finished. Then compile a list of completed work and have a random name generator assemble the pairs. And if we have a extra person I'll just make two of something.