Flat Screen TV

Coop

Dust in itself won't harm electronics.  It's the heat which results from the dust acting as an insulating barrier that kills them.  Just use some compressed air every so often to blow the dust off of the circuitry and you'll be fine.  Flat screens don't normally have fans inside of them so no worries there (unless you have a jumbo sized one).

I ignore the dust.  I don't care and it's not a battle I could win if I did.  Mine's a piece of junk that I got for free when I bought my van.  It's just background noise anyway...I hardly ever actually watch the thing.  Usually news or a Seinfeld rerun.  Most of the time I'm listening to music.

I had the music thing going for a while and I think the dust zonked it.

Now it's so quiet out there, every time the dear bride comes in and says "honey...", it scares the s#it out of me. Now she calls me on the cell to let me know she's coming out.

I had the music thing going for a while and I think the dust zonked it.

Now it's so quiet out there, every time the dear bride comes in and says "honey...", it scares the s#it out of me. Now she calls me on the cell to let me know she's coming out.

That's pretty funny man. Whenever my mom walks up from the basement into the garage it scares the crap out of me. 

I use a rather high tech radio system....

It's a "Ghetto Blaster" from the 1980s that I bought for a halloween costume. I partnered it with a 3.5mm headphone plug to tape adapter to stream music from spotify with my old phone. 

Looks something like this

Lasonic-TRC-975-1.jpg

Holly crap Dude. My 39 yo son had one of those when he was about 12. He carried it it on his shoulder and he was so short back then, all you could see coming down the sidewalk, was the handle of the boom box!

I know it's a nice idea to have a TV in the shop to complete the whole myspace idea. I have an old laptop that I shut the lid when I'm producing dust - I use it to watch the odd streamed TV show or podcast - mailnly used for listening to streamed music so I don't need the screen. But it does get everywhere and I vac it out from time to time. I also get chips under the keys so getting them out is challenging. I broke off one of the keys and no longer have an M - got to press it with a pencil point :). So if you see posts without Ms you know I'm not paying attention to the broken keyboard.

I think having a large screen TV will have a few challenges keeping dust down and blowing it with an air line or vacuuming it from time to time is probably the best way to go. I don't think I'd put a brand new one in though.

I had a tv in my shop mancave but never watched it. I'm more of a music guy so I have my ipod dock running all the time. My wife knows to flicker the lights to announce her but my father in law doesn't and Saturday he scared the living crap out of me. What made it funnier was he went into the house and my wife said sorry to me for not telling him to flicker the lights. Love that woman! LOL

• Like 1

I thought I would be smart and buy a Bose system for my shop. I had a aquarium shop make a nice little box to put it in thinking it would keep the dust out. Needless to say there is no place dust wont go. The Bose did not last long. Now I have a cheap walmart stereo connect to 4 Bose in ceiling speaker and its great again for now.

I think I have second thoughts about the tv. Heck, I don't watch the ones in the house much anyway. I'd probably end up spilling beer on the remote!

We have a 25 or so yo neighbor that stops by every so often when she walks her dog. That's about all the entertainment this old man can stand :D

I have a 50 in LCD flat screen in my shop and love it. Music videos, news or movies. I also watch live stream events that I am responsible for on it to ensure that they are still running so I can call my assistant if the stream drops out. I also have my radio headphones connected so I can be up to a couple of hundred metres away on the ride on mower and still be connected. Love it. The LCD screen does not get any where near as hot as the plasma screen in the house.

We kicked this idea around a couple years ago so you can search for it but personally, I picked up one of the 27" TVs from a yard sale for $30.  Looks great, works great...no precautions taken to protect it from the dust... it's been there for years.  When it dies, I'll go find another.  Maybe by then, flat screens will be dirt cheap too.

• Like 1

We kicked this idea around a couple years ago so you can search for it but personally, I picked up one of the 27" TVs from a yard sale for $30.  Looks great, works great...no precautions taken to protect it from the dust... it's been there for years.  When it dies, I'll go find another.  Maybe by then, flat screens will be dirt cheap too.

Tim, with my luck, I'd buy one like that and end up with a piece of plastic that didn't work and have to use it as a glue table!