cutting board bowing

Snibley

I have been making some end cut cutting boards out of Maple and Walnut, Maple and Cherry. With the recent weather one of the 5 boards has started to bow on me (Maple and Cherry), can this be saved, I do not have a dehumidifier, and what can I do to stop the remaining boards from doing the same?

thanks for the reply;

The boards are 1 1/4-1 5/8 thick, as far as the the drynest factor I have no idea....my wood is stored in a wood shop with mutilple others working on their own projects, I have not heard of any other issues with bowing from them but then I have not asked either. The boards (5 in total) were all being in the process of sanding, they are all stored laying down on top of each other and as of yesterday there is only one that cupped. I have placed the bad one on the bottom and the rest now are laying on top of it, too, hopefully stop it from bowing anymore then it already has. I will stand them on edge, hopefully that will help the remainder of them. 

Thanks for the post(s), the pieces/projects are always well looked after....too much time and money is put into them to not heed basic priciples. The board that started to cup was of Cherry and rock maple, I have noticed last night while sanding that a second board (Walnut and rock Maple) has started to bow a bit as well, all my project materials are stored in a wood storage area and has for years without too much incident outside the occasional Spruce board doing the twisty turny thing...outside of that never had an issue. I have talked too some others and they mentioned that the shop is a little dryer then normal so I am contributing this issue to dryness, I will though, not "place in dishwasher".. ^_^ lol, and place them end on end, hopefully, I can get them oiled before anymore go wonky on me. Thanks for the help, suggestions and jockularity :) ...this was my first post to this forum and look forward to many more to come.

Thanks for the post(s), the pieces/projects are always well looked after....too much time and money is put into them to not heed basic priciples. The board that started to cup was of Cherry and rock maple, I have noticed last night while sanding that a second board (Walnut and rock Maple) has started to bow a bit as well, all my project materials are stored in a wood storage area and has for years without too much incident outside the occasional Spruce board doing the twisty turny thing...outside of that never had an issue. I have talked too some others and they mentioned that the shop is a little dryer then normal so I am contributing this issue to dryness, I will though, not "place in dishwasher".. ^_^ lol, and place them end on end, hopefully, I can get them oiled before anymore go wonky on me. Thanks for the help, suggestions and jockularity :) ...this was my first post to this forum and look forward to many more to come.

Did you wait 10 or so days to let the boards acclimate from the wood storage to the shop? Generally you want your boards adjusted to the area they will be milled, cut, and worked before actually working with it to avoid these types of problems.