Aging wood and ripples.. Questions!!!

idratherplaytennis

So, I wish I knew the first thing about what to google for what my specific question entails but I don't so please forgive me (it's not for lack of trying!). I have a question pertaining to wood as it ages in the elements and if there is a way to.. possibly speed up the effect.

This is hard to do without any pictures so I will do my best to explain it in thorough detail- The last trip I went to Disneyland in SoCal, I was in line on the Jungle Cruise (this context is a little important- close proximity to the water) and I was noticing that all of the hand rails were made of solid wood which had aged in such a way both through natural aging and from millions of people running their hands over it, that it gathered some sort of ripple effect in the grain pattern. Some where the grain was a little more tight, the ripples were a obviously more pronounced.

I know from various forays either into wood working or more specifically into the home and apartment repair/remodeling work that I do that wood, specifically at least the woods I typically use such as some species of Douglas Fir have different hardness areas associated throughout the stock. The areas within the (forgive my terminology, I had to look this up) but the early wood and late wood areas have two different levels of hardness. I've noticed that all the darker areas (I think the early wood?) when sanded, do not sand nearly as easily as the late wood (I believe the softer one), which has led me at times to have minor hills and valleys in the wood I am working on. These hills and valleys are what I am talking about in reference to what is highlighted so prominently on the handrails at Disneyland and it is an effect that I was curious if it could be reproduced. 

The reasoning for my question is that I recently had a few photography prints made on canvas for my sister's Christmas gift, but they require frames that I plan to build and she is one of the types who prefer a more rustic style of home design. She has some (obscenely overpriced) pieces of old aged wood that she purchased from a store around here that specializes in antique style reclaimed wood (some of which comes from aging on barns and such out in the midwest or someplace...). She also has some regular DF purchased from the local big orange box store that she stained with a treatment of a vinegar and steel wool concoction to give it a more vintage look, albeit without the actual aging process of the wood. I am looking for a way to kind of reproduce the ripple effect or create a more antique (maybe this is the wrong term...) style of frame which doesn't necessarily need to have perfectly mitered angles, etc etc.

Would anyone be able to help me out with some ideas or point me in the direction of good websites that talk about this specific thing? In a minor time crunch since it is for Christmas (and I'm dealing with on-again, off-again chronic headaches from an unknown cause so I'm debilitated more often than I would like to be), but worst case scenario I build the frames after Christmas and give her them later beyond the actual prints.. 2 frames will be roughly surrounding 18x24" canvases, 2 will surround 6"x6" canvas prints, all roughly a little over an inch in thickness.

Thanks for your time and I look forward to your assistance guys! Feel free to ask any questions and I'll get to them soon as I can.

Fine woodworking covered this in an issue, I think it was in the summer of 2013.  Basically, they took an angle grinder with a really loose wire wheel, and ran it parallel with the grain. This knocked out the less dense wood and left the late season growth rings raised. I'm trying to find the article...

• 1 month later...

Found it! It's member-only though.  The title was "Texture wood to Highlight the Grain"

http://www.finewoodworking.com/how-to/articles/texture-wood-to-highlight-the-grain.aspx

Lucky for me I'm a member. So first off- Thanks for you input guys! Secondly, sorry for this late late late reply- I've been swamped with other personal stuff, work, etc. I never actually got around to framing the canvas prints, however the idea is still there for if my sister wants them framed- she said I can take my time. That article hit the nail on the head. I don't know why I forgot about using my angle grinder with a wire wheel. I feel like I've done something similar to that before and noticed those results but for a totally different purpose. I might have been using it to clean out some old rotten wood to prep for bondo for a paint repair on a window sill or something. The random orbit sanders could be a good idea but I'm looking for the deeper style which can be obtained a lot easier (albeit more messy) through a combination use of the grinder and sanders. And it never even occurred to me about the fact that it might have been an actual technique, but like the author, I didn't want to wait for the wood to decay either, hence my whole search into the matter.

Also- the sand and water blasting ideas are good too- but given my current situation far more of a hassle or not even possible. Current pressure washer is out of commission and my friend who can sandblast is recovering from neck surgery. I feel the grinder solution is the best bet for ease in regards to my immediate ability.Thanks for your inputs as well. Also- not many barns in my neck of the woods... what with being smack in the middle of West Los Angeles  :blink:

Also- the sand and water blasting ideas are good too- but given my current situation far more of a hassle or not even possible. Current pressure washer is out of commission and my friend who can sandblast is recovering from neck surgery. I feel the grinder solution is the best bet for ease in regards to my immediate ability.Thanks for your inputs as well. Also- not many barns in my neck of the woods... what with being smack in the middle of West Los Angeles  :blink:

AH.... My sympathy on your location... Lived in Hollyweird during the 60's I'm told!

• 2 weeks later...

I sometimes use this effect on red cedars and some firs. Using a propane torch I scorch the wood, them wire brush it. I do this till I get the raised grain effect as deep as I want it. This does darken the wood, especially the red cedar, but fir will have a dark/light pattern highlighting the soft and strong grains of the wood.