Christmas Lights

Coop

I'm sure the a holes in China ( no reflection meant on the Chinese, these lights just happen to come from China) are laughing their asses off right now at the dumb Texan that bought their lights.

For the last couple of years, my wife has me put up these icicle lights. I tried the lights I used last year before putting them on the roof this year and none worked completely. Made a trip to Target and bought 6 boxes of new ones. I tried each strand before climbing the latter and all worked. I ended up w/ an extra box. I put the suckers up and came home tonite to find a section of one strand out. The plug has two wires coming from it and then all of a sudden there are 3 wires. Has anyone experienced a problem with this style lights or am I the only one dumb enough to keep using these?

We've had a 20' flag poll for years and when either of the two flags begin to look worn, I fill take them to the local Boy Scouts for disposal and purchase new ones. I got home the other day with a new one and looked and it was made in Taiwan. I took the thing back and found one made in the USA. Same thing with crawfish tails. In Walmart, theirs is a "product of the Philippines". That just ain't right

• Like 2

Generally, if there's a tag that says made in China, I look for something else, or do without... It's not that I don't like the Chinese, It's a matter of wanting quality. And that doesn't seem to come from that country in any product.  However they do make some awesome food.

I'd bet the contents of my shop that you won't find Christmas lights anywhere that weren't made in China or somewhere else in Asia.

Christmas lights are another one of those things in my house that falls under the "pets" category.  I tell my kids, "Daddy loves you, but this is not something he's going to do.  Sorry."  And I pat them on their heads as they weep.  Who has the time for that crap?  My wife decorates a tree in the living room that I have to deal with for a month out of the year.  Good enough.  We'll go to Jellystone Park and look at the 50 billion lights they put up.  Best 10 bucks I'll ever spend.

• Like 1

We've just been to the supermarket and got some groceries. One of the items was noodles in a fancy plastic bag. Something to do with Dragons Den on the front of the packet. It says on the back "produce of China".  It has travels 10s of 1000s of miles to end up in our fridge. How difficult is it to make noodles locally?? I bet all the local Chinese restaurants make their own.

I'd bet the contents of my shop that you won't find Christmas lights anywhere that weren't made in China or somewhere else in Asia.

Christmas lights are another one of those things in my house that falls under the "pets" category.  I tell my kids, "Daddy loves you, but this is not something he's going to do.  Sorry."  And I pat them on their heads as they weep.  Who has the time for that crap?  My wife decorates a tree in the living room that I have to deal with for a month out of the year.  Good enough.  We'll go to Jellystone Park and look at the 50 billion lights they put up.  Best 10 bucks I'll ever spend.

Wife used to do the inside of the house but after the kids moved out we don't even do a tree. Gave the kids all the decorations and said good riddance. 

• Like 2

Wife used to do the inside of the house but after the kids moved out we don't even do a tree. Gave the kids all the decorations and said good riddance. 

I'm at the beginning of this journey.  I tried to object to putting up some lights on the house and my wife reacted as if I was the most despicable human being that has ever existed and almost refused to talk to me the rest of the day.   She even expects me to go up and string lights along the roof lines of the second level where the roof is far steeper...  Apparently the Christmas spirit doesn't give a **** about being deathly afraid of heights and the real risk of serious injury or death.

• Like 1

When I first bought my house 2 years ago I decorated it for christmas with lights and such. I was standing on a ladder 10 feet off the ground  and some putz runs up my driveway trying to sell meat out of the back of a refrigerator van. I told him I was a vegetarian. He went on to open the boxes in front of me to show me the contents and "great deal" I'd be getting for the holidays, and how I could give it away as gifts. "Merry Christmas here's some frozen van meat!" Here I am with 2 guys now trying to bully me into buying meat as I stand there in my shop with my hand resting on my razor sharp log splitting axe as I trust no one, especially meat salesmen. 

Back to the lights. I was all done after 4 hours of being on a ladder, icicle lights hung from the gutters using those darn light clips. I power the lights on and they look good. Job well done, 2 days later and half of one set goes out. Out comes the ladder, I replace the set that was messed up, and it's fine. a week later another set goes out. Replace the fuses, nothing, check bulbs, nothing.... Stopped putting Christmas lights up outside. Now I just put battery operated timer candles in the windows, wreath on my front door, some big red bells hanging outside, and a christmas tree in my bay window. I can't deal with 4 hours of freezing my ass off to put up lights that I have to take down and throw away. I'd rather buy harbor freight tools than Christmas lights.

P.S. I'm not a vegetarian, I am a mechanic, roofer, general contractor, window installer, driveway sealer, and I own a landscaping business. Well at least to all the door to door sales people I am.

You didn't train her properly, Vyrolan.  Bush league move.  It was written into our wedding vows...to have and to hold, blah blah blah, and never put up Christmas lights because it's a ridiculous waste of time...you may now kiss the bride.

She actually had the "obey" part removed from our vows (which were not customized in any other way).  I missed the clear red flags.  The part that's ridiculous is if I was going to rent some scaffolding to paint our two two-story foyer, she would not want me to do it because I could fall and kill myself...yet when it's time for Christmas lights and steeply-slanted roofs, her concern for my safety is nonexistent.

...2 days later and half of one set goes out. Out comes the ladder...  ...a week later another set goes out.

This is my worst nightmare...

I trust no one, especially meat salesmen.

I feel like there's another story there... =p

I feel like there's another story there... =p

No other story, just 2 sketchy guys being pushy and standing awfully close to me during Christmas time. Dressed in baggy street clothes and hoodies. I don't like being cornered, or have people within arms reach of me, and when I say I don't want to buy stuff they keep pushing. A tactical error on my part for not having my piece on me. Crime is higher during the holidays, and when outnumbered 2 to 1 by people my size and bigger it's  unfavorable odds. Always keep your guard up and your wits about you. First thing I think about in any place I go is all exits, cover and concealment. Yay for training.

I've bought meat from the walk-up meat salesmen a few times.  One great batch, a couple decent, one freaking horrible box of meat.  Gristly and disgusting.  Never again from them.

The meat salesmen don't bother me as much as this one local home improvement company that knocks on the door literally every month, if not more.  It's a different kid with the same polo and clipboard every time.  And they're incorrigible...one of them argued with me about how I should have a "professional" do the work on my house because homeowners do everything the wrong way...while we were standing in my shop amidst my kingdom of tools.  Moron.

• Like 1

I feel like it's confession time and I'm not even Catholic. My wife usually changes her "colors" every 2-3 years. This means new tree ornaments and because now, they're a different color, the matching wrapping paper has to go back in the attic since the colors have changed. The wrapping paper "must" match the tree!

This evening, after a few beers, I'm going to put my big boy pants and boots on and go home and let her know who's boss!
Then, tomorrow, I'll probably be looking for an apartment :unsure:

I live in Northern Virginia. In fact, I got a guy call me up to tell me he's in my area doing windows for my neighbor. He said he'd be happy to come in and give me an estimate. I told him "honestly, it's a waste of time for you to come to my house to give me an estimate for windows I'm not gonna buy from you. Personally, I'd do the install myself so that I know it's done properly and with the materials I want, versus the subpar materials you think I need. I then proceeded to call the majority of professional installers butchers. I've seen some real crappy work done by contractors and I'm appalled by their shortcuts and sloppy wiring, welds, etc. My great grandparents came to the US from Italy and worked as tradesmen  along side hundreds of other tradesmen in building  and doing stone work for the skyscrapers in Manhattan. These people took pride in their work versus now where you couldn't get a basement framed out with plumb studs and square walls. (end rant) Go away sales people, you're not good for my sanity!