lumber score ! (bit of a gloat)

tcarswell

My lumberyard was having a year end sale so me and my wife and son drove over excited as this place never let's us down (they like the ranch down the road so everyone wins )

Anyhow they advertised honduran mahogany for 4 dollars a board foot on the flyer I figured it would all be gone. Imagine my surprise when all that was in the pictures was what remained of the genuine mahogany ( like everyone I prefer big boards if possible) so I'm kicking around a little bummed this is all they had left (the sale had been going for a week already ) the owner comes over and we talk and I express I'm a little bummed I wanted bigger boards blah blah. He tells me he wants all the mahogany gone so he can bring up some salvaged ipe he then says if I want the remaining amount of mahogany I can take it for 100 . I obliged thinking I have plenty of uses for this stuff cutting boards kitchen tongs cabinet edging (mahogany is my favorite wood by far) I took him up on his offer and got the mahogany (there was a bit of Phillipine mahogany mixed in but at the price I was thrilled . While I was there I got that 6 or so board foot chunk of 4/4 cherry with just ridiculous figure and also the salvaged ipe boards were 1 dollar each and the quarter sawn white oak was free(it's my wife's favorite wood they never pick the easy workable ones )

Summary. Lumberyard was having a sale on genuine mahogany I was bummed the remaining selection was thinner boards until the owner gave me the remaining mahogany for 100 dollars . I also got that beautiful cherry board for 29 dollars and the salvaged ipe sticks for 1 dollar each (the quarter sawn white oak sticks on the left were free) Thanks for reading

Taylor.

post-16322-0-80078800-1418192389_thumb.j

post-16322-0-49558000-1418192409_thumb.j

For straight board-footage cost for that mahogany, ya done good!  It's a shame they're so skinny.  The 8/4 pieces you could make legs from.  Not sure what you'll do with the 4/4, but for that price I wouldn't worry about it.  I agree with Mike...mahogany wouldn't be great for a cutting board.

Nice haul for sure!

For straight board-footage cost for that mahogany, ya done good!  It's a shame they're so skinny.  The 8/4 pieces you could make legs from.  Not sure what you'll do with the 4/4, but for that price I wouldn't worry about it.  I agree with Mike...mahogany wouldn't be great for a cutting board.

That 4/4 would make some good picture frames, segmented turning, or perhaps get some mirror glass and make mirrors.

• Like 1

Thanks guys ! Most of them are around 4.5" wide on average . I think it would be soft for a cutting board good point. I can make a ton of Xmas projects though I love the picture frame and mirror idea and I've made my kitchen tongs and other stuff with this material before without issue .

PS any way to figure out the board footage ? I'm lazy lol they average a little over 9 feet . The lumberyard manager said 65 board feet or more

Exactly. Given that it's my favorite wood I will definitely use it for table legs segments turnings. Basically anything I don't want to use my big wide honduran mahogany

boards for. Matching trim and moulding edge banding it will all be used for sure . Thanks for all the kind words guys.

PS I have a leaf blower in the picture because I blow down all new lumber so the lumberyard dust doesn't kill all my jointer and planer knives it takes a while but is well worth it.

If you want to get really nutty you can factor in waste from milling and making it s4s, etc.

If you want to get really nutty you can factor in waste from milling and making it s4s, etc.

I'm too lazy for that I have a handy board feet calculator that can factor in waste percentage it's neat . It has other lazy woodworker calculator features like fraction calculator pilot hole dimensions and dovetail jig layout . It's called woodworking utilities and it's free. God bless the creator of that app

I'm too lazy for that I have a handy board feet calculator that can factor in waste percentage it's neat . It has other lazy woodworker calculator features like fraction calculator pilot hole dimensions and dovetail jig layout . It's called woodworking utilities and it's free. God bless the creator of that app

Since I started woodworking I've become Rainman with fractions.