Cabinet Makers

dwacker

I thought I would post this for those that are doing cabinet side jobs or are thinking about doing them. I get to hear about a bunch the law suits against contractors and cabinet makers on a regular basis. But  as of late  some have gotten my attention mostly because I know these guys.

First if you plan on installing cabinets that you build check with your state and see if you need a contractors license. Even if you collect the money and sub the install you may need a license. One kid that I know well was doing great and was paying licensed contractors to do the installs. Unfortunately he had a small issue that landed him in court and the lack of his own contractors license cost him his livelihood and home.

Next KCMA does not certify or approve finishes. Finishes do NOT meet KCMA standards. Don't tell people yours do, in fact don't ever mention KCMA or put it in writing to your customers unless you have a KCMA certified product line. 

Hud statements. Don't sign a hud statement EVER unless your cabinets actually meet Hud requirements. Some banks will have people get or just sign a statement saying essentially that the cabinets that they are loaning the money for a remodel on meet Hud. This is common on insurance work and second mortgages it may just be in the fine print that the customer signs. If your work does not meet Hud have the customer sign a statement stating just that, you will never know if they signed a statement at their bank.

Lastly Keep you paperwork in order. It doesn't matter if you do this full time or on the side. You are laying yourself out as a professional as soon as you cash the check so you have the same responsibilities as the full time shops.

• Like 1

No. What Sherwin Williams is saying in short is IF you use their product and use it properly on a product line when you pull from that line and send it in for certification it should pass the finish portion of testing. The finish itself is not what passes. Its the process and the final product (the whole cabinet), KCMA does not certify finishes only a line of a product.

That's good info Don, particularly the KCMA thing.  It would be very easy to, in good faith, simply pass along the language from sherwin williams and think that you're covered.  It's really too bad that every mom and pop operation these days has to have a law degree in addition to their regular skill set.