Which Tenoning Jig to Buy?

tedfmcm

In the process of setting up my shop and reviewing what is left on the list for my initial table saw accessories...tenoning jig is at the top.  Ever since seeing good old Norm use it for all his tenons, I haven't seen a better (cost vs speed) way to do this task but would be open to hearing suggestions.

That said, I'm pretty set on buying one...but cannot figure out which to buy?  It seems like every one has positive and almost equally negative reviews.  So far rockler, grizzly, and jet seem to be the better of the options...with Jet being the more expensive outlier.

Any suggestions based on actual use?

Thanks,

Ted

Mine is a wood river and it has less negatives than some of the others I looked at. A couple of the biggest negatives with this one is the instructions, it's like the instructions were written for a different piece of equipment. I used it 4 or 5 times before I realized the thing would work better form the other side of the blade - going against the instructions. My othe big issue, when cutting a staight tenon on a board with a compound angle I do not have the clearance between the blade and the body of the cast iron jig.

I ordered the rockler and sent it back because it has the same issue. I suspect this is endemic across the board.

I have since made my own that I use to cut specific 15 degree tenons, but the problem with that is that I can only cut 15 degree tenons.

My short answer is to buy what you think you like, use it right away, if it doesn't work for you send it back. And you should not spend over $100 for it. If you do you will realize you just don't need the extras. Your cutting wood.

I bought a commercial one and use it for only one purpose: angled tenons.  You can shop-build your own with that capacity but it probably approaches the "not worth your time" factor.

I bought and returned a couple before I found a decent one at Rockler.  First the Delta.  Crap.  Then the Woodcraft one.  Crap.  Both made in China.  Finally I went to Rockler and found a Taiwanese one with a much better fit and finish and it actually had a FLAT base, unlike the others.

It's one of those tools that are commonly batched out in one or two factories and painted in a dozen different colors for different companies to private label.  My advice would be to go LOOK at them in person instead of ordering online...if possible.  It seems to be a craps shoot.