Festool Help

Southwood

Sam is correct, just capacity..

I have the CT 26 and rarely have to empty it.

It's just capacity. I have the CT48. However if you are planning on buying one you might want to consider the cost of replacement bags. The CT36 5 pack of bags are roughly $42, CT48 Bag 5 pack is roughly $48. CT26 bags are roughly $37 for a 5 pack. If you go biggest vacuum you get the most bag for the buck in terms of volume. I wouldn't go any smaller than the CT26 though.

It's just capacity. I have the CT48. However if you are planning on buying one you might want to consider the cost of replacement bags. The CT36 5 pack of bags are roughly $42, CT48 Bag 5 pack is roughly $48. CT26 bags are roughly $37 for a 5 pack. If you go biggest vacuum you get the most bag for the buck in terms of volume. I wouldn't go any smaller than the CT26 though.

Couple things here..  You can also buy a "never replace" bag..  You can also empty the regular bags and reuse them.

You could buy the long life bag which Festool claims can be filled 500 times. It comes at a price. Around $200+ depending on the model vac you have. Regular bags can get a couple of fills out of each one. Still a consideration. With great Festool, comes great spending.

Wow 500+ times? That is crazy long life. Not a bad price really considering that many bags would run around $3k +

While my wife wasn't looking today (or home for that matter...) I went ahead and ordered a Domino. I didn't order a dust extractor yet, I did order a fitting that Fein makes that will fit into it.

Did anyone else start off with a non FT vac and then find adequate reason to buy one later? I just have two cheapy Rigids at the moment.

I was looking at the bag costs and saw that the Fein vac bags are a lot cheaper. Anyone run I know I've seen a few people mention running FT with Fein vacs, any pluses or minuses there aside from cheaper bags?

While my wife wasn't looking today (or home for that matter...) I went ahead and ordered a Domino. I didn't order a dust extractor yet, I did order a fitting that Fein makes that will fit into it.

Did anyone else start off with a non FT vac and then find adequate reason to buy one later? I just have two cheapy Rigids at the moment.

I was looking at the bag costs and saw that the Fein vac bags are a lot cheaper. Anyone run I know I've seen a few people mention running FT with Fein vacs, any pluses or minuses there aside from cheaper bags?

I have the Fein Vac it works fine with the Domino or sanders its adjustable like the FT.

==>I have the CT 26 and rarely have to empty it.

For home/hobby use, I'd get the 26 or 36. The 48 is a big unit -- if you've got the space, no problem...

==>FT with Fein vacs

Fein, Mirka and FT are all top-shelf vacs... You may need to futz with tool-end connectors, but that's noise-level... BTW: The fein adapter ($15) is very useful to have, even if you go FT...

==>buy a "never replace" bag

I'd put the money towards a DD or UDD setup... A friend of mine got the resuable bag -- looks like a dust storm every time he empties the bag -- especially with sanding/drywall...

• Like 1

I am not trying to start a holy war but the Fein hose adapter attached to a rigid shop vac left zero dust from the 24 Domino mortises I just cut.

I had myself convinced I was going to run out and buy a CT 26 or Midi tomorrow morning, and it looks like I will be able to hold off a bit.

I do have to say I am impressed with my first Festool product. While I am still going to learn and play with other joinery methods, i am going to be grabbing the Domino first.

Oh yea TIDOS is quite right, I have a Fein vac that does a pretty good job. Used it with my Domino for a couple of years. My CT26 is a bit more powerful and quieter. The ability to turn the suction down helps with sanding, too much suction pulls the sander down and heats up the pad which wears out the Velcro , learned that the hard way.

Oh yea TIDOS is quite right, I have a Fein vac that does a pretty good job. Used it with my Domino for a couple of years. My CT26 is a bit more powerful and quieter. The ability to turn the suction down helps with sanding, too much suction pulls the sander down and heats up the pad which wears out the Velcro , learned that the hard way.

I thought the Fein is supposed to be quieter than the ct series?

FT extractors really are overpriced when you consider that any old shop vac will suck the dust out of a tool's DC port.  But it's a Cadillac, and with a Cadillac, you get luxury.  It turns on when you turn on the tool, it's quiet, it's boom-arm capable, you don't get shocked by the hose, and if you have multiple Festools it completes a convenient system.  But the biggest deal is being able to control suction.  I'll make the argument that that's not just a luxury, but a necessity when you're sanding.  Otherwise it's pigtail city.  And I HATE pigtails.