new or used bandsaw? 555LX 14" vs 18" grizzly?

nod

I'm just about to pull the trigger on that g555LX 14" band saw BW just picked up, but had to double check cList to make sure there wasn't something i was missing. There happens to be an older 18" grizzly fairly close to me. Needs a bit of cleanup, and the owner said he's send me model numbers, age, more pics, etc this evening. They're near the same price range (the used one is NOT a steal that's for sure), so i'm wondering if older, but bigger in this case is better? or if a new, smaller, warrantied machine is the smarter call?

I can find an old lumber jock thread about an 18" griz a fella picked up for 150'ish back in 2012. This is not that kind of deal, and based on some searching looks like the model available may be the 220V version. anyhow, is 500-600 for a machine like that insanely priced? any help is appreciated. 

clist ad

grizzly page - possible saw spec

I looked at the craigslist ad and the price seems to be pretty high to me. You can buy a new Grizzly 17" for a few hundred more. Just my opinion.

You are right about that, unfortunately with a baby on the way, a few hundred isn't available. And a few other shop additions are going to need that extra cash anyhow. I'm hoping to keep the whole budget closer to <500 since that's about what the 14" is running. either way, if that 18" was 400ish, would it still be worthwhile? or is the new machine just better built and better working and the better value? 

Did you try haggling with the guy?  Classified ads are like job ads .. the poster always tries for their ideal result.. but they'll often settle for less.  Offer the guy the price that you'd be willing to pay and state your reasoning.  If he takes it then you're both happy.. if not then you buy a new one :)

What do you plan to do with the saw? Depending on model the 18 inch might not be more powerful or have a greater depth of cut. If all you plan to do is scrollwork then you really don't need the 18 inch. If you plan to resaw like mad then power is everything and what motor it has will be critical.

Suggest checking this thread

been reading and following. I was about to jump on one of the 555s (one is free shipping, another isn't, but they come to same final price). But then I came across the 18.. which leads me to my dilema. I don't see the 17"s with free shipping  :huh:

A couple of things on that listing. The saw was made in 1992, so I'd offer much lower due to having to clean that rusty table that looks like it was never waxed. It's 22 years old, so that's a factor as well. While old tools aren't a bad thing, you could use that to your advantage. You're gonna have to do some tuning up and a fair amount of cleanup on it. It's a 220V saw with a 2HP motor.

I had a 15" Grizzly G1148 bandsaw as my first bandsaw. The saw you posted on CL has the same fence system I had, which was miserable, took forever to adjust, you have to setup the drift angle every time you lock down the fence since it locks from both sides of the table. It's not at all a repeatable process, takes about 5-7 minutes to take off the fence since you need to remove the bolts that hold the tubular rail on the table. The blade support post is really sloppy and you'll be fiddling with your blade guides every time you move it up and down. 

A couple of things on that listing. The saw was made in 1992, so I'd offer much lower due to having to clean that rusty table that looks like it was never waxed. It's 22 years old, so that's a factor as well.  ....      .....      .....    post is really sloppy and you'll be fiddling with your blade guides every time you move it up and down. 

Thanks T! That is all incredibly helpful information. I know it's used, but having an idea how old is very helpful! I'm not against scrubbing rust off, but yeah, if that's an indicator of how maintained or not... then what do the tires look like, guides, how rough is that fence? etc.. IF I do buy that saw, I'll only pull the trigger for much less, and just automatically assume a new fence needs to be purchased and installed.  ;)

thanks again for the input!

Another player in the mix... 17", but on the fixed frame (no option for riser). Only about 8" of resaw availble. Frankly, i have NO bandsaw at this point, so I have no idea if I'll be resawing wide stock or not. Sure, the idea sounds great, but will I do it? i have no idea at this point. If I go this route, I can still afford some other shop needs. And it's closer, and the guy was actually responsive where as the 18" fella  is taking his time between communication. 

older 17"

Unless you have a supply of wide boards coming in that you need to resaw, i'd just buy the $300 one.  If in the future you find yourself needing the bigger resaw capabilities then you can likely sell the 17" one without any loss and then buy a bigger one.  I'm guessing the older 17" one will work out just fine though.

Price and pressure, I pulled the trigger. As far as I could tell, it's actually a G1073 (16"). I'll try and pick it up tomorrow or Sunday, but for the price, was hard to beat. It's in great shape. Clean, no rust. tires looked good. Thing seems hardly used. Now, getting it home is going to be the fun part.. I'll post pics/notes once it's in the garage. 

All the 14" grizzlys are 1hp motors. The 2hp in the 18 inch would make a big difference for resawing. If you are not planning on doing a lot of resawing then thats a non issue. If you are buying a bandsaw primarily for resawing then the 18 is probably going to be the way to go.

Actually, they do have 1 model 14" that has 1.5HP motor, the G0555X.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/14-Extreme-Series-Bandsaw/G0555X

• 2 weeks later...