Shop Protection

Coop

I would like to build into my work bench, a small drawer to hold a hand gun. As I'm usually out late at night with the overhead door open, it just seems like a good idea to have one around. I want it to have a lid on it to keep the dust out and I would like the lid to open as I open the drawer and close when I close it. I can't seem to find a spring that will work. RichardA directed me to a cash register site but they sell their springs wholesale to IBM.

Anyone have an alternate idea?

The lid will close from the face frame as it's pushed in.

I get where you're coming from with wanting some added peace of mind late at night.  One suggestion I'd like to make is to not only think about your safety, but also the safety of others that may enter your shop.  What I'm getting at is rather than keeping a firearm tucked away in a drawer where anyone could potentially find it, I think it would be a better idea to have one secured but still quickly accessible. 

I came across this item last week, and think I'm going to get one for xmas.  Has great reviews and can actually be left out in the open with no-one the wiser as to what it is :D

It's not cheap, but in the overall picture the cost is insignificant...

I don't mean to sound like a dick but I think it's a terrible idea. I carry a Sig in fact have three of them. That being said I would never leave one accessible to a kid or a thief. Get yourself a Mossberg but drag it in and out of the house. A pistol is one of the worse home defense weapons a Mossberg doesn't care about a little dust and will stop anyone.

• Like 1

I live in a small town, till the house fire, I didn't even have a key to my house, it was built in 1895 and it still had orginal hardware. I re built in the same location, now we have a home securty system that is monitored. I don't own a gun, mostly because I would have no problem using it.

Get that big dog we were talking about, best alarm ever

PB, I hear what you're saying, but I have the utmost respect for guns around kids. My plan is to tuck this drawer into a space in the bench where it will be concealed. It won't have a pull, will use the drawer guides that when you push on the drawer, it will open. I too, carry legally, but just wanted that extra element of surprise. Oh, and one of my favorites is a Sig SP2022, 9 mm.

Raefco, that puppy will be my next major purchase. I made the mistake of showing the pics to my wife. She told some friends and one had a neighbor that has one. She went to see it and it's a done deal. Right after the holidays, we're going searching, armed with your advice. I have to admit, I'm looking forward as well!

Boat works, thanks for the links, that's some neat stuff!

Eric, hope you live in a gated suburbia.

I carry as well. Took my pistol safety trainer certification test. I've got a few options for carrying and protection, including a Remington 870 Magpul edition .12 gauge, when it comes to a shotgun you need to think about liability. If K Cooper's got anything beyond the entrance to his shop, that's a bigger liability. 00 buck shot contains 9 pellets which increases your liability with 9 bullets instead of 1. It makes a great close range option, but can be dangerous. Could just keep an AR15 slung around your shoulder. 

I'm a real gun nut. Love the darn things.

Having said that, I would strongly consider bear spray or something less lethal.

If a handgun is the way you choose to go, I would use a holster. Chances are if you need your weapon, you'll be away from the box that your weapon is kept in.

Stay safe my friend.

Eric

Ha ha, I owed some shop space in the early 90' for my masonry company, after I got broken into twice I armed myself, the shop and boobie trapped the overhead doors with lethal doses of electricity, hard wired and switched. An police officer was wondering around the place one day when we were there on a rain day, he not only seen it, he filed a report that nearly seen me to jail. If he would have connected the two barrels with lids and locks to the trap I most likley would have been sent away.

I guess I don't have anything for you either...

I live in the "Wild West" and firearms are pervasive.

If I want I just take my gun out to the shop.

Every pick-up truck at a construction site is assumed to have a weapon under the seat, and many have gun racks in the back window for their long guns.

The same goes for oil fields, sheep camps, dwelling places, and even wind farms in these parts!

Myself?, I think I would keep it in the house locked up, and take it out to the shop each day.

I think it's that kind of tool.

Dave

The lid would be only to keep the dust out as it will be directly below the bench top. What I visioned was building a drawer similar to what I think I've seen on some cash drawers. Where the lid opens as you pull the drawer out and as you push the drawer back in, the face frame will push it down. I could probably use a walnut log for protection but I won't want to enter a knife fight with a Q-Tip!

I recommend a portcullis.  Terry can help you install it. :D  Sounds like you have some nasty criminals in your area...

portcullis.jpg

No sir. Actually live in a pretty decent area. Closet town is Houston, where they marched and not torched!

But I still lock my doors at night.

Me too.  But I guess I just don't worry about intruders.  I have a much better chance of being attacked by a terrible driver...and I don't drive a tank around either.  :)  Besides, if someone breaks into my house, I'll just do the quart of blood technique on him.  Karate man bruise on the inside!

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 2

I think you need a coil spring like those found in spring clamps. Make a dowel 'post' in the drawer side to slide the center of the coil over. Turn the coil so one leg holds the lid in the open position, the add a stop block below the other leg. Sliding the drawer closed would push the lid down. You might need one one each side for balance.

• Like 1

I recently went through a similar design issue.  I wanted to add a tight fitting lid to an existing drawer, but I didn't want to have to mess with a lid when the drawer was open.  I decided to use a sliding lid that was tied to the back of the drawer opening.  When the drawer is closed, then the lid is in place.  When the drawer is open, the lid is retracted.

If you are building a new drawer, you could just build the lid into the drawer enclosure.

• Like 1