Shop Protection

Coop

I thought it was going to be about smoke or burglar alarms or maybe keeping the kids and neighbors out of the shop.

Some how, guns and wood working just don't seem to jibe for me.

I have a well designed length of broom handle and a few chisels if I need personal protection from bodily harm. If it is just theft, they can have anything I currently own. 

Rog

When I first saw this topic I first thought you were referring to something that had to do with with products like those made by Trojan or something.  :o  Another bonus to keeping a weapon in your shop. If you need a quick hole for a dowel or something, a lot quicker than getting out a drill bit. :P

Your Trojan comment is relative. A few years back I had a friend that collected stuff....beer stuff for the most part. He told me I needed to collect stuff. Being kind of weird, I decided to collect old condom tins off of e-bay. Now I have a whole crap load of these things. So I guess I need protection to protect my protection :D

Unfortunately due to shop space, fortunately since I don't have them, a lathe and oscillating sander are coming up due to a fellow woodworking friend giving it up. Double edge sword as he's getting too old and sight is going bad. Kinda sad. I plan on using the lathe to make my grandson a set of Lincoln logs from a bunch of figured cherry scraps. Will see how that goes :wacko:

Unfortunately due to shop space, fortunately since I don't have them, a lathe and oscillating sander are coming up due to a fellow woodworking friend giving it up. Double edge sword as he's getting too old and sight is going bad. Kinda sad. I plan on using the lathe to make my grandson a set of Lincoln logs from a bunch of figured cherry scraps. Will see how that goes :wacko:

Now that is a cool idea (the Lincoln logs)

• 2 months later...

Coop. Why not an electronic codekey pistol safe? The kind with the foam lined inside that pops open, ready to draw. I have several, under various desks and behind side tables in my house and they work great. They'll screw to the side of a leg under your bench.

Also, to disagree with a previous response, a pistol is a fine home defense weapon.

A pistol is a tool to be used by the "home defense weapon". Some of us suck at using one worse than we do at using a hand plane.

A pistol is good for home defense. The majority of encounters happen within 4 feet. You shouldn't have to worry much about aiming at that point, and in a situation like that form and stance pretty much go out the window. You're not in a war zone where you're shooting at threats 300+ yards away. 

Coop. Why not an electronic codekey pistol safe? The kind with the foam lined inside that pops open, ready to draw. I have several, under various desks and behind side tables in my house and they work great. They'll screw to the side of a leg under your bench.

Also, to disagree with a previous response, a pistol is a fine home defense weapon.

Vinny, I've looked at those. I'm afraid that if there was a bad guy in my shop, he may not want to hang around for me to enter the code :D I am considering one that recognizes finger prints, but I can't find one that recognizes "shakey" finger prints :rolleyes:

In the mean time, if I do have a problem person, I'll offer him a beer and a cigar and maybe he'll go away!

Vinny, I've looked at those. I'm afraid that if there was a bad guy in my shop, he may not want to hang around for me to enter the code :D I am considering one that recognizes finger prints, but I can't find one that recognizes "shakey" finger prints :rolleyes:

In the mean time, if I do have a problem person, I'll offer him a beer and a cigar and maybe he'll go away!

Sounds like you need a bench axe or perhaps might I suggest a round mallet with lots of left over nails and screws sticking out of it? Nobody messes with a spiked bat!

It's not a big concern as I live in a pretty safe neighborhood. I just thought instead of having 6-7 pistols in a gun safe in the house, I might spread them around a bit so I can keep an eye on them! But I want to do it in a way that is safe, even though there are no children around

Unless they have a bigger bat, with bigger nails!

Or a small pistol with more range than the bat

Vinny, I've looked at those. I'm afraid that if there was a bad guy in my shop, he may not want to hang around for me to enter the code :D I am considering one that recognizes finger prints, but I can't find one that recognizes "shakey" finger prints :rolleyes:

I'll flip you the name of the one I have. 4-5 digits and it pops open at an angle, ready to to draw. Probably quicker than opening a drawer, and grabbing a firearm that's on its side.

Plus, it's safer to keep it cocked and locked in it, than in a drawer..

plus..bad guys trying to steal stuff out of your shop won't find a gun and get more ideas about their visit.