Walnut Desk Finishing

jduv

Hi all!

I'm going through a finishing process on an absolute gorgeous walnut table top and I have a couple of questions with respect to my final finishing process. The steps I've used to produce this beautiful piece of work is follows:

1. Sand down 120, 22, 320 using a random orbital sander.

2. Dye using Behlen's reduced 50%.

3. Seal using shellac, 3 coats wiped on reduced 1:1 with denatured alcohol

4. Sand with 320.

5. Finish with Waterlox gloss, 2 coats so far.

Pictures:

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/gklcucbsi076etb/AADeTmd7PoAok5Wjpm_dRH-Na

The conundrum I'm currently having is how to complete my final, 3rd coat of waterlox. I really like the glossy look, quite pretty, but as a functional desk I'm not sure I'd enjoy the tacky feel as a day to day work surface. So, my question is this:

What can I do to the final coat in order to reduce tackiness but still have the beautiful sheen?

The desk is beautiful, as you said.  But I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "tackiness."  I've used gloss Arm R Seal on a few projects - not exactly the same as Waterlox, but similar, and I haven't noticed any tackiness on the surface.  One of them was an everyday use dining table, which has held up great and has a perfectly smooth finish.  

I haven't used much oil base finishes in recent years. Never heard of hardener for poly.

I have a can of Waterlox that I use on exterior stuff and it can take a long time to cure. Even then it can be a bit soft. It's supposed to be that way. That's how it lasts in tough conditions. Hard finishes are brittle.

I am spoiled by the automotive stuff, several of the newer aftermarket clear coats are a polyester resin, very flexible, hard as a rock and hard to sand and buff you wait to long. The last couple wood pieces I have put a clear on I use minwax poly and added a Linco acrylic enamel / urethane hardener in it and it set enough I could steel wool rub and wax in about 24 hours.

Hmm, perhaps what I'm experiencing is just the nature of gloss finishes? For example, I have some nice pieces we purchased that have a lacquer spray on and they are smooth to the touch. When you wipe your hand on the desk top it "sticks" due to the friction of the high gloss surface and the skin. I'm not specifically talking about touching it and feeling a "sticky" sensation, but more of a "rub your hand down and it catches" kind of thing.

Make sense?

Hmm, perhaps what I'm experiencing is just the nature of gloss finishes? For example, I have some nice pieces we purchased that have a lacquer spray on and they are smooth to the touch. When you wipe your hand on the desk top it "sticks" due to the friction of the high gloss surface and the skin. I'm not specifically talking about touching it and feeling a "sticky" sensation, but more of a "rub your hand down and it catches" kind of thing.

Make sense?

Yes, I don't really consider anything with clear on it "finished" till it's been knocked down with some really fine steel wool, ultra fine sandpaper, rubbed out and or buffed and waxed, unless its a satin or flat.

The disclaimer here is, I have never used any water Base clearcoats

Make sense?

Ok, I see what you're saying and know what you mean.  But I think the issue you're having has nothing to do with the sheen - it has to do with the film thickness.  You've got quite a thick film on there, which I think is causing the friction.  I think if you had used a satin waterlox instead of gloss and applied the same number of coats you'd have the same problem.  

You could try applying wax - that would definitely make it a smoother surface, but it would likely change the sheen.