Dewalt Jobsite Tools / msc festool

dwacker

I'm working on a special project. I'm looking at buying a Job Site saw and planer. What I want to know is if the fence is consistent enough to rip 5/4 stock to 2.25 or 2.5 about 96 long without having a bunch of flex and saw marks? If need be I guess the face can be clamped? Next the planer, will they plane the same stock to final width on edge ganged together without leaving a bunch of planer marks? Im not talking 12" ganged together just a few at a time to keep them standing. Next is dust collection will just a big everyday shop vac be enough without plugging up. Im not talking about full width planing just planing the faces of 5/4 narrow stock after ripping.

Am I assuming right that the FT parallel guides are the right tool for ripping/dadoing ply along the length 8 or 10 ft edge? Is the MFT and guides going to accurate 90 degree square cuts? 

With some careful adjustment the fence of my jobsite Dewalt TS is consistent enough to get accurate cuts.

A sacrificial fence of melamine or something flat helps because the aluminum fence isn't completely uniform.

I would certainly use infeed and outfeed rollers or the like to support the 96" stock; it's a very small table surface.

I don't have a Dewalt planer, but I have a benchtop (15+ year old Craftsman) version and it makes pretty clean cuts with new blades and multiple passes in small increments. No scalloping of the surface.

Dave

What species lumber are you using?

Just domestics.

I would certainly use infeed and outfeed rollers or the like to support the 96" stock; it's a very small table surface.

I want to mount the saw in the the end of a 4' x 20' table.

The saw will possibly have a dedicated shop vac and the planer will be on a roller stand the height of table with its own dedicate shop vac.

The newer Dewalt jobsite saws have pretty good dust collection,

Everything below the insert is closed off with fabric so much of the dust goes out the 2.5" port you hook up to you shop-vac.

A zero clearance insert makes it less able to pull the dust down.

The blade guard also has dust collection possibilities but it takes the smaller shop-vac hose.

I have a half dozen shop-vac filters and I swap out for a clean one every hour or so while making sawdust (I don't use a bag).

It keeps the motor cooler and extends the life.

I've used a shop-vac this way for 15 years and it is still going strong.

Dave

Edit: It sounds like you're want as clean a cut as possible so I should also add that I don't get a super-nice glue ready surface from my jobsite saw.

There are always some small amount of saw blade "swirls" to clean up.

A new blade helps but yeah I can see the swirls on every cut if I look closely.

By the sounds of it I'm probably better off blowing the budget and getting a contractors saw and throw away the legs and wings then hack off the rails. I need an entire shop with exception of the planer stand and scissor lift to fit in one table.

The table will be 4ft x 20ft 2x2" tube steel on wheels. It needs to house a saw, two router lifts, two shop vacs, two festool vacs, small compressor, some festool  boxes, rails and if possible a couple five gallon buckets. The table has to be wired with no more than two cords going to the wall and all done by christmas. Pretty sure I found everything except for the saw.

Well once you get it built I think we'd all like to see a picture.  A mobile shop like that would be great for guys that need their shops to do double-duty.

In terms of contractor's saws I really can't give you any advice, I have the sawstop contractor saw and like it but I doubt you want to spend $1800.  Anectdotally people seem to like the Ridgid version, it is $550.  But they are a big step up from a jobsite saw. 

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-13-Amp-10-in-Professional-Table-Saw-R4512/202500206?cm_mmc=CJ-_-1319015-_-10368321&AID=10368321&PID=1319015&srccode=cii_13736960&cpncode=44-17534159-2&cj=true

Thank you. I think I found a damaged in shipping Jet. This is not for me its for my youngest and her newish husband. They want to go out on their own and are now both without jobs. They have a brand new empty 30x30 garage building. Im giving them a finish focused box shop and customers. 

I have the Delta saw from lowes that's equivalent to the Ridgid one that's linked above.  They seemed pretty similar when i compared them in the store, but i liked the fence on the Delta a bit more.  You could easily just not install the legs or side tables and then cut the rail to only cover the width of the cast iron.

I use my desalt 735x to true up widths of boards ganged together all the time, and it's a super clean and accurate cut (even measured with calipers).  It's heavy, but plenty portable.  Convenient handles mounted to it.  That's what I would go with for the planer.  

I used to have the bosch job site saw, and it was plenty accurate for shorter rips, but I don't know if I would trust it over 96".

I'd go with the dewalt 735 and the MFT/track saw as others have suggested.

I just can't believe PB found a project that requires such 'toys'!

Just yanking your chain PB. I think its great that you are helping the kids that way. One thing to consider on the saw is motor placement. It might prevent you from mounting it in the table. Maybe ok if always ripping @ 90*, but the motor on my contractor saw rises above the table when tilted to 45*.

I know its all good. We sat down down last night and processed a big job on paper and decided to kill the saw and planer all together and just put in a central vac system. He has a Jobsite saw and a van full of jobsite tools anyways so no need for the occasional rip. We will just supply them with pre milled face frame material along with the doors and drawer faces. The budget is shot anyways after last nights storm Ive got to have a roofer fix the damage from the spray booth vent that was only partially installed and is now in the neighbors yard.

Still don't have an answer on the parallel guides but I'll do some interneting and see if I can come up with the answers.