Festool Half Sheet Sander RS2 E

wouldwurker

http://www.festoolusa.com/power-tools/sanders/rs-2-e-orbital-finish-sander-567696

I really enjoy making small boxes.

In the Doug Stowe videos and books, he does all his finishing sanding on an inverted 1/2 sheet sander (appears to be clamped, and on a sandbag of sorts), and takes the wood to the tool.  I like this on boxes, mostly because my current method of clamping them down and rotating them 6 times is a royal pain...change grits, rinse and repeat.

I bought a disc sander, but it's aggressive and not really right for this application.  The ROS tends to round over the edges if I'm not careful.

As always, there's lots of range in price here.  The Festool is $400, and I'm happy to pay it today if it's worth it.

That said:

1. Is this a case where Festool shines above all again and the price is worth it?

2. Any major reason I shouldn't buy a half sheet sander?

As always, thanks

--VJ

I’ve got the FT and the PC...

The FT’s a fine-stroke sander (2.5mm?) and excellent at veneer jobs (quite a few veneer pros use that sander) where controlled stock removal is the name of the game… The issue with fine stroke ½ sheet sanders is that thay are sloooooow.... Folks tend to get impatient and down-grit when they shouldn’t… The PC is also good and a medium-stroke (4mm?). The PC will remove stock quite a bit faster, but you've got to be more careful when sanding veneers...

PC = PorterCable

Swapping grits is easy, the FT is both clamp and H&L. The PC is clamp. There may be a H&L pad for the PC, but I haven't seen it...

To vyrolan's point, a hard pad does help with edges... The 150/5 with a hard pad (blue) is a great medium-grit sander...

While both members of the sander family, the RoS and 1/2 sheet are different species.... The DA combines ease of use and rapid stock removal with minimal swirl pattern. The half sheet shines at controlled stock removal and uniform stock removal over a large flat surface (they are the Kings of veneered tabletop sanding). They are a bit harder to use properly because most learn to use a RoS first, and then assume all sanders are used in the same way...

I like Doug's books as well. For the smaller boxes I really like my Rigid oscillating sander with the belt attachment and a 120 grit belt, followed with hand sanding. The Rigid also does great in leveling the splines that the book illustrates. The Rigid is only $200 (at least as of earlier this year at Home Depot).

• Like 1