Fun gift idea

Beautiful! 

As a firm believer in the KISS idea, I do similar things all the time.

All I have to work with is scraps and not having a lot of room in the shop, the smaller, simpler projects are what I do.

The important part is that you are making sawdust, and someone is going to love using the tray in the future. :)

Rog

It's been my experience that women like the serving and display items, and guys like the storing and playing items....  so trays for the women and display cabinets for the guys.

(And if someone were to gift me one of these, I'd do my best to appreciate it.  If they were to include the whiskey or wine, I'm sure I would!)

I love that this is straight and straightforward, but the sides are not "boring" straight lines... the 45 degree effect makes this stand out more.  Nice project!

May have to make an attempt at this... my female friends are getting cutting boards and i needed something for my male friends... Not to get into a sexist discussion but :)

Dave, my male cousins are getting cutting boards. The men in the family are the better cooks. For a good gift idea for a man, build a 6 pack holder and fill it with beer. I contemplated that, but the cutting boards will be put to better use.

I have a buddy who, despite all the furniture I've built, only cares about the stupid mallet I made that sits under the bench.  Every time he hangs out in my shop he walks around with it the whole time.  I think it's the caveman coming out.  Me like pound things with wood block.

My office had a Yankee gift exchange today. I brought this tray and it got stolen like 100 times. I think everyone had it multiple times. It was a big hit so I said I have a few others in production if someone wants one. Well I got 8 orders at $50 each. That will pay for some sandpaper and glue and maybe a couple of more clamps.

• Like 1

My office had a Yankee gift exchange today. I brought this tray and it got stolen like 100 times. I think everyone had it multiple times. It was a big hit so I said I have a few others in production if someone wants one. Well I got 8 orders at $50 each. That will pay for some sandpaper and glue and maybe a couple of more clamps.

That's awesome!  Congrats!

Baddass! It's always a great feeling when people all want items you make. It's even better when they pay you for them. My 10 year old niece said to me last night "What I really want for Christmas is for you to make all the cool things you make like a pen, and those reindeer, and a box like you made for grandma." Gives you a feeling like your items are appreciated and sought after.   

I started off to make a "Picture Book" frame for some friends 50th wedding anniversary and since I had extra material, I made five of them for other gifts.

I gave one to a different friend "just because" and she ended up ordering five more for Christmas gifts and paid me more than $20.00 each for them! 

Not much I know but, it paid for the materials and I got to do some woodworking. I just hope it doesn't "hit the big time", they are kind of a pain to make, and ten of ANYTHING is more than I want to do. :)

ABookofLove019_zps9a0d2ee7.jpg

ABookofLove022_zpsaa0eaec4.jpg

Rog

• Like 1

When I mentioned gifts for play, I'm thinking of dice cups, cranes, model trains, mallets, card racks, pool ball racks, and the like.  (Just some examples off the top of the hunger-starved head... so clearly i'm not thinking right.)

But I still really love that tray.  Glad to hear that others do, too.