Need Help - Need to fill large gaps and stain

Soccerpop13

I just installed some beautiful panels to the knee wall of my kitchen island.  The rails and stiles are solid cherry and the inset panels are cherry veneer, (all unfinished). 

I do some easy woodworking as a hobby and I have respectable woodworking skills, but due to time constraints, I hired a handyman to install them.  Big Mistake!

There are some small gaps in the joints between squared panels as well as imperfect 22.5 degree angles.

Removing and re-cutting the panels is not an option for a variety of reasons that I will not bore you with.

I am reaching out to you for advice about how to fill the gaps to make them as invisible as possible with the ability to match my stain.

The gaps range from no gap to as much as approximately 1/8 inch on the same joint (wavy).  I have been scanning the internet and the only things I see are suggestions of using various wood fillers, glue & sawdust, putty, etc. applied before staining, and some say after the first coat of finish.  It’s difficult to know which approach to take.

I have the advantage that the panels are currently unfinished and I saved about a cup and a half of sawdust, so I have options.

My plan is to use oil based stain and poly, most likely Min Wax or Varathane as they are the most available and my wife has been able to find a color that is acceptable to her.  In addition, I really don’t have enough time to shop for any different stains.

It is my hope that you can help me salvage my kitchen remodel. 

Just to add to my pressure, Wifey wants the project to be completed by Christmas.  This was supposed to be the centerpiece.

Thanks,

Tom

I like Famowood water based filler. On the bigger gaps only pack a little in the deepest parts and let it dry, then fill to the surface and let that dry before sanding.

Like TIDOS said do some testing on scraps first ! Same wood , same filler, sanded to the same grit , use the same stain , use the same finish coats. This is the most important step !

I was able to take the attached photos.  It was a struggle to get the fit as close as we did due to the 22.5 degree angles and the fixed length we had in the island frame.  I'm resigned to the fact that this will be salvage to make them look good to a critical eye.

While I was really upset about the seam gaps, I returned home today to find that while the handyman was planing the top level to prepare for the granite slabs that will be templated tomorrow, he chopped a nice piece out of the top of one of the panels.  He tried to solve the issue by filling it with sawdust and clear poly.  Fortunately, when he showed it to me, it was still soft so I scraped it out and rubbed the area out with mineral spirits in order to remove the poly residue.  I think it worked, but I will give the area a light sanding prior to staining.

Needless to say, this makes filling the seam gaps a minor issue in comparison.

No need to make any references to the handyman or my judgement, I already feel bad enough.  What I need is a solution. 

With regard to the seam gaps and the idea of creating a saw kerf and filling it with cherry stock, it's a great idea except that the panels are already installed and I don't know how I could reliably perform the cut without risking additional damage.  I may come back to this idea though, but I don't know where I can get such a thin piece of cherry as these panels were custom made for me in Oregon and I live in South Florida.

I've seen a few references to Famowood during my research. but at what stage of finishing would I use it and how do I get it to match the stain that I intend to use.  Yes, I know that many woodworkers frown on staining cherry, but tell that to Wifey.

With regard to the chip, I'm trying to stay positive since its location is immediately below the granite and won't be easily noticed.  I'm considering adding a 3" molding to help hide it.  I will already have a 4" baseboard which I have yet to install. 

Thanks again for your suggestions, I look forward to reading more.  I apologize that some of the photos are appearing sideways.  This happened when I uploaded them and I'm not sure why.

Tom

post-16550-0-63049700-1418444897_thumb.j

post-16550-0-28539300-1418444937_thumb.j

post-16550-0-52984300-1418444945_thumb.j

post-16550-0-21434800-1418444974_thumb.j

post-16550-0-21880300-1418444986_thumb.j

Yup I would definitely find some nice trim to cover the gap, but if not quite honestly I think you could cut a thin strip of cherry and use a scraper or block plans to finesse the thickness until it fits into the gap. If you take your time and get the fit right it will hardly be noticeable.

But my first choice would be finding some trim to hide it.

In particular for the large chip that will be under the granite I would find a large crown or cove moulding - I think it would look nice.