Entryway Bench: First Real Project

Vyrolan

I finally completed my first "real" project. A bench for the entryway where visitors can take off and put on their shoes. The design is adapted from various bench designs online and my wife picked some of the details (most notably slats on top instead of solid and the stain color). I'm not happy with the finish, but my wife wanted it to be like a dark "rustic" grayish look. It looked much better after the first coat of an espresso with the grain really popping. The grain still shows somewhat but all in all I think it fits the spot pretty well and looks ok.

I won't bore you all with mistakes and whatnot...suffice it to say I learned a lot and would do countless things different if I built it again. =p

Here was the original SketchUp:

xp3Ww0e.jpg

In its place at the door:

Y5Tm59G.jpg

AOHrMFB.jpg

Some closer shots to remind so many of you why you're forever bored with red oak. =p

B7qK5HW.jpg

UrL25Hy.jpg

• Like 1

Yea iPhone photos not the best. I'd have to actually setup one of my computers to use the real camera though. =p

The frames are pocket screwed together and then screwed and glued to the legs. The aprons are attached with pocket screws as well. The slats use glue and dowels and also screws through the supports from below. When I started this, I knew little and had only a drill and a circular saw so screws were a fact of life.

I'd have no problem planting my hind end on that ;).. nice job!

It holds my (rather substantial) weight with no give or creaks so I'm rather pleased with that. =p it's probably over-engineered in that regard.

• Like 2

Yea iPhone photos not the best. I'd have to actually setup one of my computers to use the real camera though. =p

The frames are pocket screws and screwed and glued to the legs. The aprons are attached with pocket screws as well. The slats use glue and dowels and also screws through the supports from below. When I started this, I knew little and had only a drill and a circular saw so screws were a fact of life.

No apologies needed!  You did a fine job!

• Like 1

Tidy, you judged the finish to match the context of your home....like a pro :)

It's actually a bit darker than the slats. I need to post a natural light shot. That's one of the reasons it's over-stained which washes out the grain...it had come out almost perfectly matching the floor which looked a bit odd. =p

Very nice.

I like the slats; makes it look lighter than a solid top.

Dave

I think it gives it an outdoor look. I wish I had made some of the pieces smaller (for example the legs are overkill at 3"x3" I think)...that might have given it the look of a garden bench brought inside.

The judge, jury, and executioner came back with a verdict of "it looks good"...but she did say it was "too shiny". It's 3 coats of water-based poly in semigloss. After it cured I sanded it lightly trying to take away some of the reflective aspect and then smoothed with paper bag (hat tip Terry) so it's real nice and smooth to the touch. Not sure how I could have done less shiny without changing the way it was finished entirely.

Use a gray abrasive pad to knock down the gloss, follow it with a white pad to polish it back up to what you like.

Like these? http://www.rockler.com/synthetic-finishing-pads-3-pack

I looked around my HD and Menards for stuff like those...and never sure if any given product on Amazon is right. That's why I ended up doing my best with some higher grit sandpaper by hand. =/

nice job Vyrolan!

Yep, ScotchBrite is one brand, Mirka makes them as well as others . I have some that have a velcro back and mount on my ETS 150 sander.

I really like Mirka Mirlon, I hit all my varnished pieces with the 1500 grit. the 2500 grit is almost to fine, as it starts to make the piece glossy again.

• 1 month later...

Great first project. My first real project ended up in the dumpster. It was a 7' tall cabinet that slipped into a drywall opening. I drew it, made cutlist, then assembled the sides and top in the wrong orientation. So it was an inch too wide. Glue the crap out of it screwed and stapled the back on with 2 times the amount of necessary staples. No recovery. I learned soooo much on that one, that on the rebuild that wouldn't happen again.. so i recut all new parts and rebuild, this time its perfect. Not. I only measured the front of the opening not the back. The opening was so racked that 1/2 inch narrower wasn't enough and it got wedged in the back. But at least it wasnt glued and the back had was stapled properly. So you know what they say. .. 3rd tims a charm. Every time i build a cab or measure for a build its instinct now. Btw i looked a closely at the pics and nothing was obvious.

Thanks HausWerks. I've grown quite fond of the bench as I've done more projects especially thinking how I basically only had a circular saw and a drill/driver when I built it. It's at the base of the steps so sometimes I sit on it before heading up to bed just because. =)

• Like 1