What do you put your workpieces on when spraying?

daviddoria

I am relatively new to HVLP, and I love it! When spraying reasonably small parts (say about 15" long x 3" wide), I typically put some cardboard over a lazy susan that is attached to a small table. This works great if there are just a couple of parts, but if I have a stack of parts to spray, the cardboard gets pretty wet with overspray, and I sometimes end up accidentally placing the next part to be sprayed in a puddle of finish. Do I just need to cycle through several pieces of cardboard? Or is there a better way to rest the parts so something like this doesn't happen?

Thanks,

David

same problem got frustrated one day and i final just grabbed a nail gun and started poping the nails into a board.  now i just use that to hold it up in the air and spray finish my items. i usualy do smaller projects so i have a 12 x 12 piece if i was going to do furniture i would just make several smaller ones to place where i wanted them.    

I just use painter pyramids. But I always make sure I do the non show face first before turning it over. And then take great care not to move the parts as even the pyramids can leave marks. But as any marks are on the non show faces I don't care (no-one else sees them but I know they're there!!)

I built a turntable from telescoping sections of black pipe, flanges, and two ~ 2' x 2" 3/4" ply or OSB platforms. 

The smaller diameter pipe in each set is slightly shorter than the other, allowing the cut end to use the other flange as a bearing.  I have two sets of pipe, a 24" and an 8" set.  When not in use, I unscrew the pipes from the flanges, and the entire thing stores flat.   For larger items like carcases, table or sideboard tops, etc... I can screw strips of plywood or 2x right to to the top platform, and place weights on the bottom platform.   For items that fit on the top, I toss a nail board, inverted yogurt cups, pyramids, whatever works best at the time.

The turntable lets me box coats and still keep the over spray going in the best direction.

They make painters pyramids that will link together. I snap 4 of them into a crescent shape when holding long narrow parts up.You can screw them to your lazy Susan . I also have used nail boards but you have to be very gentle laying parts down.

I pretty much do the same thing. Painter pyramids. When I'm spraying I have larger scraps of ply, and melamine I lay on smaller flat surfaces to give me more area to lay things out on.

They make painters pyramids that will link together. I snap 4 of them into a crescent shape when holding long narrow parts up.You can screw them to your lazy Susan . I also have used nail boards but you have to be very gentle laying parts down.

I sat on my spray stand once :)

Thanks guys. I have tried painters pyramids in the past, but actually I've blown pieces off of the pyramids with the air from the spray gun (recall these are 3" wide or thinner pieces, not big panels, so placing the pyramids in a stable configuration is tricky sometimes).

wdwerker - you must have different pyramids than me - mine are open on the bottom so I'm not sure how I'd screw them down (though it sounds like that may help quite a bit - a major problem I have is with the pyramids sliding around as I'm trying to place the workpiece on them). Also, you're talking about a crescent shape configuration just to prevent all of the tips from being in a straight line which would be prone to the part tipping sideways?

Thanks for all of the ideas!

David

The newer pyramids have little wings on the bottom so you can screw them down ( which stops the blowing away). They also have the ability to clip together and 4 of them can make a crescent shape. Long thin pieces can be cradled (tipped at a 45 degree angle) and expose 2 adjacent edges for spraying.

Excess finish can be scraped off the pyramids pretty easily. I tried soaking them submerged in lacquer thinner in a quart can, even a week submerged didn't hurt them but you still have to wipe them clean which is a messy stinky job wearing gloves. I now use the edge of one pyramid to scrape another.

Tom brings up house doors. If you make sure that the top and bottom edges on your doors are painted or sealed it wil decrease the expansion and contraction due to moisture.. Most painters are way to lazy to paint these edges. Any time I have a door off its hinges I give it a quick sand and seal the top and bottom edges. I have seen so many front doors with rotting bottom edges that a little paint could have prevented.

• Like 1

You've also got the home DIY guys who just take a plane to the door to shave it down to fit, and then rehang the door.  They don't tend to think of this last finishing step.  (As I was in this group up until 55 seconds ago, I can state this with certainty.)