I bought a lathe, and its a beast

mkirby

I went a bit mad and have splashed out on a new to me lathe

16011513832_62e405dc6f.jpg

That is a Britannia No 5 back geared, gap bed, treadle lathe. Good for wood turning, metal work and metal spinning and i will be driving to the other end of the country to pick it up on the 5th of January.

This was the sellers fathers pet restoration project. It looks like the only things to do are to clean up the two tool rests and the chucks. All the hard work is done.

I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Its 39" long, and i estimate the capacity at between 18-20". It probably weighs about 150lb.

England isent so bad what people dont realize is just how large america is in comparison england is like50housand miles i think america is like -3.5-3.9 million miles imagine driving across all of Europe england is more like one of theU.S. medium size states

America seems a lot bigger as well because you drive so slow :)

Went from DC down to Orlando once - seemed to take forever. Newbury to St Andrews in comparison was a trip around the corner.

Was the lathe an ebay find Mr Kirby?

We do drive slow but since our license requirements are fast and loose compared to Great Britain it's probably just as well. Over here if you can fog a mirror and read a stop sign, you're qualified to drive.

Google maps tells me Newbury to St. Andrews is a 65 mile/105 kilometer trip. I know people who commute that distance, one way, twice a day, five days per week.

We do drive slow but since our license requirements are fast and loose compared to Great Britain it's probably just as well. Over here if you can fog a mirror and read a stop sign, you're qualified to drive.

Google maps tells me Newbury to St. Andrews is a 65 mile/105 kilometer trip. I know people who commute that distance, one way, twice a day, five days per week.

Newbury, Berkshire is 465 miles from St Andrews. Not sure where goole found the one it gave you :) When I moved from there to here it took about 7 hours in a van loaded with everything I owned.

It was an Ebay find, it wasn't the one i was looking for but in that condition i couldn't say no.

The lathe is in Egham which is just next to Windsor west london. Its a 6.5hr drive there from the frigid north where i live. Thankfully i have a co pilot so it shouldn't be a bad trip weather permitting.

America seems a lot bigger as well because you drive so slow :)

Went from DC down to Orlando once - seemed to take forever. Newbury to St Andrews in comparison was a trip around the corner.

Was the lathe an ebay find Mr Kirby?

Well one is 65.5 miles and the other is 850, so 13 or so times farther.  And of course I95 sucks from traffic.

Well one is 65.5 miles and the other is 850, so 13 or so times farther.  And of course I95 sucks from traffic.

Did you read my 2nd post? Try 465 miles not 65.

It was an Ebay find, it wasn't the one i was looking for but in that condition i couldn't say no.

The lathe is in Egham which is just next to Windsor west london. Its a 6.5hr drive there from the frigid north where i live. Thankfully i have a co pilot so it shouldn't be a bad trip weather permitting.

I think you'll need that co-pilot to get it in and out of the van :) As Terry said, keep us updated on how you get on with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Right here she is.

Britannia No 5 Back geared treadle lathe

16187688906_ca0e6dbe91.jpg

Drive gears and back gear mechanism for detail work (mainly used when metal turning)

16213556195_c21055cf4d.jpg

All the bits and bobs that came with it

16211678051_287467316f.jpg

I got three 3 jaw chucks, one 4 jaw chuck, wood working tool rest, and compound slide rest. I don't know what the wooden thing is but it has the correct slide underneath that clamps it to the beds. 

16026049608_67a435cbe9.jpg

Tail stock. The wheel turns but the centre does not advance and the locking lever has been removed.

So to get it running i need to 

1) Get the tail stock fully working

2) Work out how the drive rope is supposed to be joined into a loop

3) get fitter so i can work the treadle :)

There is a full manual available detailing how all the britannia lathes are to be used, published by the manufacturer, that i can get a copy of so i will order that and get it up and running. 

Best present to myself i have ever gotten :)

• Like 2