Hello and question for spoon carvers

Nub Thumb

First off, Hello.  I'm new here.  I've been a member of another un-named forum for a while and the last topic I started put a really bad taste in my mouth.  Well, today a question came up and I'd rather cut off my other thumb than turn to some of those guys.  So that's why I'm here.

Now the question.  My wife carves spoons and has been turning them out like crazy for Christmas.  I've noticed that my Pfeil chisels that she uses are constantly in need of slight repair.  She uses a wooden mallet and I have twice accused her of hitting something metal or dropping them.  She swears it's not happening and I've watched her to make sure. She uses the mallet more than most would to compensate for strength but I'm still confused why the edge gets so beat up.  Is this common or are the chisels just too soft for what she's doing?  I don't really do any carving.  My chisel work is mostly parring and this has never been a problem.  

Thanks