Penetrating Oil and dye

rodger.

I was wondering today if a person could apply a dye stain to a project, and then use a penetrating oil (like tung oil) over the stain. This way one could have the colour they liked, and avoid a film finish.

Or would it make more sense to add the dye to the penetrating oil before applying it?

Or is the whole idea just ridiculous?

Ideas?

Never thought of that combo. You can guess what I am going to recommend can't you? Test boards !

Congrats on hitting 2k posts !

Kev just hit 4k and no one else has thrown a parade or anything .

Whoa! I didn't notice I made the 2k mark!

What I think is funny is that PB has made the most posts of all, and has never chosen an avatar in all that time. But if he did, I betcha it would be a pic of a shaper ;)

Many use oil over dye to bring-out figure… Further, many consider this the best method to bring-up chatoyance. Even without dye, many use penetrating oil alone prior to topcoat (I do this frequently) for the same reason… The technique works very well – especially for hard-to-color species. Alcohol-based dyes followed-up with a penetrating oil works extremely well on figured Maple…

• Like 1

Never thought of that combo. You can guess what I am going to recommend can't you? Test boards !

Congrats on hitting 2k posts !

Kev just hit 4k and no one else has thrown a parade or anything .

Hell, big guy, you just popped that cherry yourself, I'll make a trip to the distillery in your honor!