dual blade wobble dado from Craftsman

Ramble

Hey Guys,

I am here looking for information on a Used but good condition wobble dado blade I got from a garage sale.

It is the Excaliber dual blade, model 720-32708. I have tried removing the small pin that had a tiny C clip holding it in place. It won't come out even with a hammer and punch. I have not been able to get the thing to adjust or open in any direction. It's not frozen, there is a small bit of play. I was hoping someone here would be familiar with it as I am about to give up on it and buy a stacked set.

Regards,

Ramble 

If the stack set is a bit out of budget right now then you could try building your own stack from skill saw blades.  This is what Matthias Wendel does and it seems to work well enough for him.  Just be sure to buy rip blades and try to keep them from the same manufacturer to ensure a consistent size.

http://www.sentex.net/~mwandel/workshop/dado.html

I've had a wobble Craftsman dado for 40 years.  I only use it on treated wood that I don't want to use the good ones on.  I don't see anything extra dangerous about them.  They just don't do as pretty a job as the good stacked sets.  I wouldn't use it on cabinets, or furniture.  Sorry, I don't understand the problem you're having. 

Several blades stacked together that weren't meant for the job would be more dangerous.  If one slips, one of them will start shedding carbide teeth.

• Like 1

Personally, I've not owned a wobble set.  Anything loose and wobbling at 2 million RPMs on a table saw sounds like something gettin' ready to be launched and I'm about to become an unfortunate statistic. I don't work full time in the construction world like Tom (I sad) but maybe the wobble works fine.  I've just never used it and am ignorant and skeered.

They don't vibrate, but since, once the width gets past narrow, each tooth is the only one that cuts that position of the width of the dado once per revolution, of course, you have to feed it REALLY slowly.  Also, since the angle of the top of every tooth varies with every width set, it never cuts a pretty bottom.   I bought it when I was first starting and didn't know any better in '73 or 4. It very rarely gets used, and then only by me.  I've used it so few times, that it's still sharp after 40 years.

The first time I used one it was on my dads tablesaw. I didn't know the damn thing actually wobbled side to side, at that point I just knew it cut a groove in wood, well let's just say when I fired the saw up I quickly hit the dirt and was trying to find the kill switch while I was laying on the floor, which must have been quite the hysterical sight because my father didn't stop laughing for a freakin' hour! Not my cup of tea.