Granite topped table saw on sale from Sears

Ramble

The Title says it all. I just bought one, half price at $695.00. They are the Steel City saw that has been rebranded by Craftsman. It has an excellent Biesemeyer fence and two granite table extensions. It is being discontinued and there are a few still left. I bought mine from Baton Rouge and carried it home to new Orleans. There is no delivery available from Sears. The closest one to me now is Pensacola.

The thing weighs right at 500 lbs and was almost enough to kill the deal. A good set of Shop Fox wheels solved that problem. I have been in need of a good saw for about 30 years now. I have my old Craftsman table saw on Craigslist for $50.00 and will be glad to see it go. Now that I have a decent saw (almost properly set up) I have a lot of things I want to do with it. In the deep south, it will be nice to not have to worry about rust, sanding and waxing every now and then.  I like it, It's really smooth.

I have a  Ridgid granite top saw , you can chip it . I got a little chip when I put it together . Other then that it's pretty tough and I abuse the heck out of it . One thing I love about it is the flatness and how glue scraps right off the top . yeah I do glueups on it sometimes . :blink:   Good luck with your new saw .

Yep, That was the one from Sears. It's a very nice saw, beats the heck out of the 40 year old Craftsman I inherited from my dad 25 years ago. 

The fence is the nicest one I have ever had. Kinda disconcerting though in that it does not stay square when you move it. As you clamp it down, it moves one way or the other about an 8th of an inch to square itself. The measureing tape under the fence marker is accurate, though I still use the tape measure to check it. I have it on a Shop Fox set of wheels and can move it around the shop easily enough. 

When I picked it up at Sears, they only gave me one box of two. I didn't discover this until I got home. I tried to order it at first, discovered it was not available at all  from Sears, went back to the store and told the manager that I needed a fence. the first thing he said was " I will just order it for you" I declined that offer and said "I would like the fence from the floor model" He was ok with that and I brought it home.

I called about a week later and found out that the last saw left in the Baton Rouge store was "Unavailable for sale due to missing parts".

Oh well, just checking. 

All in all, I am glad I bought this saw. It bogs down a little too easily even ripping a 2 X 6, you have to go slow. I am going to buy a new blade shortly, maybe a thin kerf will help that.