Good wood for large table top

Brendon_t

The table top of my dining room table has seen some better days. From raising 3 kids, it is quite beat to hell and the epoxy fillings that filled large holes have come loose.

My wife has asked me make a new top but with what?

I have only really worked with red oak and a few colorful exotics for cutting boards. The new top will be attempted to be stained to match the current table bottom and benches. They are all quite dark. I am thinking walnut with a spring joint breadboard ends. The table will be 7x4 in California without much weather change.

I am thinking walnut with a spring joint breadboard ends. The table will be 7x4 in California without much weather change.

Are the kids out of the house, because walnut is pretty soft and will ding easy. Have you considered a contrasting top out of a harder wood, like maple or ash?

The kids are not yet out of the house but they are now old enough to respect things that do not belong to them.

I know artificial color on the walnut would be almost blasphemous but I'm pretty much up against it. Wife loves the design of the table and loves the color of the finish.. I asked if she was against a contrasting color top and bench tops but she was not thrilled with it a bit.

Just had a thought, maybe I could talk her into allowing me to use the walnut for most of the top but use some good sections off the current top to breadboard.

I wish I knew what type of wood the table is currently.

If you post a pic, one of the members will be able to ID it.

If you're absolutely forced to stain to match existing furniture, not only is it blasphemous to stain walnut, it's a complete waste of money.  Walnut is expensive these days...why pay for it if it isn't gonna look like it?  Hard maple.  Stain it whatever color you want for half the cost.  For a grainier look, red oak or ash...even cheaper.  All hard and durable woods.

• Like 1

Could you simply sand down the current top to remove the dings and then refinish it? If some of the dings are deep then you could use the iron trick to bring them up a bit.

seems like this would be the simplest solution, and adding in some new epoxy around defects or where it's come loose.