Shop air conditioning

chrisphr

Garage is virtually unbearable in the summer heat, love to find a good air conditioning solution. Anyone have any luck with a portable dual hose model? They have some out there rated at 14,000BTU. I could easily vent it straight into the attic. Space is 400sqft, 11ft ceilings, would only run it 6-16 hours a week.

Love to hear any thoughts on this, thanks!

https://www.goductless.com/Mitsubishi-Air-Conditioners/MA-12WA-12000-BTU-13-SEER-Ductless-Air-Conditioner/19634.ac?gclid=CjwKEAiAh7WkBRCQj-_zwZvk52ISJADj7z8Ce15zyj5O_aJyYW7hyY5hkl2KbiYhM-lHuGVduVvoZRoC1jjw_wcB

these ductless units are a bit pricy but work very well and a heating element can be added. or you could put a window unit in the attic and vent it out the gable,many window units have a remote 

That is all I am trying to do. Make ice in the mosquito coast, although my cause is less noble than suppressing malaria.

How DIY are the split mini's these days? I watched a YouTube video, the only thing that seems beyond my tool list/capability is testing the system for leaks with nitrogen. I was looking at the portable systems because the are cheap (relative) and easy.

Yuppers, you don't fix the roof when it is raining! . No windows, and even if I did HOA doesn't allow for window units unfortunately.

Sorry, didn't know you were in a controled  housing situation.   I live out in the country, and can do just about anything I want within common sense!

• Like 1

That is all I am trying to do. Make ice in the mosquito coast, although my cause is less noble than suppressing malaria.

How DIY are the split mini's these days? I watched a YouTube video, the only thing that seems beyond my tool list/capability is testing the system for leaks with nitrogen. I was looking at the portable systems because the are cheap (relative) and easy.

Some of the mini's are oriented specifically for the DIYer, with push on connectors.  I haven't priced them though.

I think the ductless mini split is the way to go. After considering the window unit with a plenum, the Macgyver bubble gum and duct tape install sounds just as complex (perhaps more complex) as installing a mini split. The difference is I know the mini split will work. I'll probably install everything, then call in an hvac guy to test the connections and turn the thing on. Thanks for helping me decide!

I think the ductless mini split is the way to go. After considering the window unit with a plenum, the Macgyver bubble gum and duct tape install sounds just as complex (perhaps more complex) as installing a mini split. The difference is I know the mini split will work. I'll probably install everything, then call in an hvac guy to test the connections and turn the thing on. Thanks for helping me decide!

I just built a house in the last couple years and that is what I did, I had a duct company draw up my duct plan when they did my quote, I installed all the duct work, both air handlers and compressors and had a service tech come out and vacuum the lines, charge and test the whole deal, he charged me 200

• Like 1

Love heat. So Cal, NV, AZ. Worst experience of my life was before being accustomed to weeks of high humidity with high heat. The hills of Missouri. After a decade of working outside no matter what, I don't mind so much, but it is still my least favorite. Using AC just to dry the air a bit is huge in those environments.