Shop air conditioning

chrisphr

That had to be true love for her to leave Texas!

It may have been the biggest mistake of her life...it may have been mine since now I hear about Texas all the time and have to watch Cowboys and have oil-rubbed bronze stars in my house and regularly receive packages containing Whattaburger ketchup.

She gets real sad when I remind her our daughter is a true Yankee...born in Chicago.

• Like 1

Whataburger ketchup! Holy crap! Pm me with your address and I'll go to HEB and buy her a bottle. Regular or spicy?

Every time we're at the grocery store she laments it's not an HEB. =p We are actually already overflowing with Whataburger ketchup because of recent shipments. =p If you could magically send her some Taco Casa, she would be your friend forever.

See what Texas does? Hijackin' threads left and right. =)

• 1 month later...

Mini split air conditioner, this unit also has a heat pump. There is an exterior unit that looks like a smaller version of a regular central air unit. The interior and exterior unit are connected with some copper tubing, power, and communication wires that all bundle together to fit through a 2.5" hole in the wall. This is a 18000 btu unit, 220v. Smaller units 110v. Worked out well for my situation.

Yup, found the unit on Amazon, but bought it directly from the distributor because I thought I would get better customer service if purchased direct, and it also ended up being just a few bucks cheaper. With a couple inexpensive accessories added it was between $800-$900. Www.highseer.com

I poured the pad and mounted external, ran the 220v circuit, installed the mounting plate for the internal, drilled the hole for the piping. At that point the instructions were not clear enough to me to progress without worrying about messing something up, so I called an independent hvac company to finish it off. They were hesitant to get involved because of potential permitting risk (I didn't get one). We worked out a deal that involved a cash transaction, and although they were never there, my air conditioner works. I think I got hosed on the price given all the work that was already complete, $1000.

If I were to do it again, I would invite the HVAC guy before you start and negotiate the price and who will do what.

I've read that if you engage an HVAC to supply equipment and labor, it would be between $3000-$4000

I think I got hosed on the price given all the work that was already complete, $1000.

I've read that if you engage an HVAC to supply equipment and labor, it would be between $3000-$4000

I think you did...an HVAC guy here quoted me like $1700 for the unit and full installation and multi-year warranty...similar unit one of the high efficiency heat pump models.

I don't know, the labor may have been a bit high, but I installed all my HVAC in the entire house. I called a guy who works for a contractor and he charged me $300 to vacuum out the cooper lines open the valves and top of the gas, (r-134 or what ever it is) it took about 2 hours

Probably, before it was quoted I was thinking $300-$500 as a fair price. They quoted me on replacing my furnace and that quote was nearly half price vs one of the chain HVAC companies. $2800 vs $5500, so real reasonable there. For the split mini they probably charged me for potential aggravation of doing something slightly out of there wheelhouse. Figure this was about a $500 lesson learned.

• 3 weeks later...

I have just purchased my 4th split system, this one for the shop, the others are in my house. I installed all of them and they work fine. Rather than pay someone to evacuate the copper lines I connect everything up (have my own flaring tools etc. and then let the refrigerant run for a count of 10, it pushes the air out of the tubes and then you close the release valve.