My First Projects...

AstroDave

Awesome Dave, I look forward to seeing how they come out. Are you using a template or any pattern to do any curves or anything? As for the drill press, floor standing would be the way to go. I almost never use my drill press, and now that I need it. I don't have it, it's in my parents basement. I have no space to put it in the shop right now. Time to move things out, giving my dad my media blast cabinet and I'll put the drill press there. Problem solved. 2 weeks off during Christmas break to get my shop as complete as I can. 

Hey Tom I am not using a template per se but am loosely following what the Drunken Woodworker did...seemed appropriate.  I'll add my own variations as I go...In fact I realized last night that the ends weren't wide enough so I need to get creative with the sides :)  Thinking curves...

I am looking at the 15" Jet Floor standing unit (JDP-15MF) as this drill guide just doesn't cut it.  At 15% off it's under 500 bucks for a few more days...

Hey Tom I am not using a template per se but am loosely following what the Drunken Woodworker did...seemed appropriate.  I'll add my own variations as I go...In fact I realized last night that the ends weren't wide enough so I need to get creative with the sides :)  Thinking curves...

I am looking at the 15" Jet Floor standing unit (JDP-15MF) as this drill guide just doesn't cut it.  At 15% off it's under 500 bucks for a few more days...

Curves would be a good idea. If I can make a suggestion, draw it out and cut a piece of scrap as a template so it's even on both sides. 

I was looking at the JDP-15MF. There was one on Craigslist a few days ago for $300 looked like it was brand new. 

Did a quick Sketchup of the tote so I could play around with the design... thoughts?  The receiver of the gift will have their name burned into the side...maybe with some smart ass comment from me as well.  Oh and I chose Hieneken because it was the best model I could find.

BhWSOOc.jpg

Kev...honestly I was just trying to fix the mistake I made by not getting wide enough maple for the ends.  They were supposed to be 6.5" and would have covered the end grain from the side pieces.  I will likey end up gluing and using screws on the sides with plugs that match the handle which is either going to be walnut or mahogany or even make the entire side out of a different species...still debating... I love this process.

I have 3 drill presses in my basement, 2 bench top and 1 floor. The floor model has came in handy on occasion, I have made a jig to make round tenons using a hole saw with no pilot bit, round pockets are easier to make than square. ;)

1 bench top has a cross slide vise on it and on the other one goes between a drum sander and general use, they were all bought used, cheap. I have maybe 200 in all three 

Did a quick Sketchup of the tote so I could play around with the design... thoughts?  The receiver of the gift will have their name burned into the side...maybe with some smart ass comment from me as well.  Oh and I chose Hieneken because it was the best model I could find.

BhWSOOc.jpg

you computer guys are depressing, I'm gonna have to pay one of the kids to make me some pretty pictures  :D

I think you could probably pull that off with just glue..  You could add the screws and plugs if you don't think it will hold.   If you do, consider using the contrasting color of the handle for the plugs..  If you can't hide them, show em off!

Thanks Kev...that helps... I think it would look great with the contrasting plugs.  I am making 3 of them so I am sure they will all be unique :)  I am also thinking that I will make the dividers friction fit for simplicity and so they can be removed.

I don't have the patience for it.  I feel like I could more easily fly a spaceship to Mars than sketch a table leg with that program.

I'm with you Eric. I don't have the patience to learn sketchup. I've got Autocad 2015, sketchup and Omnigraffle on my work computer. I can do easy layouts and cut lists with everything except sketchup. There needs to be a better view and way of using it. I just need to buckle down and learn it. Not that it'll help since I generally attack a project with zero plans and wing it as I go. 

Dave, love the design can't wait to see the outcome.