My First Projects...

AstroDave

Eric for me it's familiarity and timing.  I agree the RT sounds like the more precise way to do this.  However I have never built a jig and have maybe 15m XP on a router table.  For now it just seem simpler to slap a backer board on my cut piece and use the bandsaw.  After Christmas when I go into full time Beer Tote business I will build the jig :)

I just don't know why you guys would bother doing this on the bandsaw when you could get perfect curves on the router table in a fraction of the time with a fraction of the labor.  Of course you'd rough out the shape and hog off most of the meat at the bandsaw first...but then slap that puppy on the RT and be done.  Guess it's just me.

If all that mattered was time and they were being built strictly for profit, I'd just take some wood and a patten to the local water jet guy and have them cut for a buck a piece.

The fact that it would be faster is incidental...the important part is that you'd be able to create a perfectly fair curve with very little effort or skill.  It will be a challenge to do that with a bandsaw and sandpaper.

Dave, I'm certainly not trying to push you to do something you're not comfortable with...far from it.  But building jigs is a big part of woodworking, so there's no better time than now to knock out your first one.  And if the jig is built with safety in mind, it really isn't a dangerous operation on the RT.  You're not really gonna encounter any tricky grain with the pieces you're working on.  As long as you don't try to hog too much meat off and your hands are a safe distance away, it's a pretty basic operation.  But you should definitely only do what you're comfortable doing.

So I finally managed to get back in the shop to get some work done on the beer totes.  The biggest challenge I am facing is cutting the curved sides.  Ultimately I think I will be cutting them well over-sized and sanding to the find size.

cygCzNVl.jpg

Here's a closer shot of the curved side that obviously doesn't work but I will use as a basic template

XWysHtCl.jpg

I didn't have anything handy to make a curve and ended up using of my cats toys :)

EMRZwaLl.jpg

I make these drawing bows from wood yard sticks by cutting a notch in both ends for the string. When they break, toss em and make a new one. The asymmetric one, I got from LV.

OK... I have to admit this stuff is harder than it looks :)  Still not done but almost ready to apply finish.

Eqj5R3Pl.jpg

Oh and personally I like the one in the middle with the plugs... the buttons look silly but hey it's my first attempt at a real project.  Finish these tonight and I might just be able to get the cutting/serving/bread boards done...

Got the first coat of armor-seal on the beer totes... So that was what you guys meant by "GET ALL THE GLUE OFF BEFORE FINISHING" :)  Just a couple spots...makes it look homemade and that's my attitude and I learned something.  Also got the 3 serving/cutting boards glued up... I may get adventurous and cut one on the bandsaw and do a funky strip...maybe the one for my sis...she'll appreciate it the most...

Also how long should keep these clamped up before I can cut them up and re-glue up... gonna do something funky with my sisters cutting board.

Depends on the temp of your shop..  On days when I'm trying to get a lot accomplished, I'll keep my shop at about 70 degrees and let them cure for about 3 hours (titebond glue) and pull them out of clamps.  I'll then run them thru the drum sander and cut/ flip them.

Well they're done...short of signing them...

First the totes...

pAGGloAl.jpg

Then the cutting boards...  My original intent was to have two fishes for my neices and then an larger serving tray for my sister or a bigger fish but due to a router mishap... I will leave it to you to figure out which one had the mishap.  Funny thing is I like that one best of all... I definitely need to have more time learning how to use my table...scared the crap out of me how it grabbed the piece... It was a pattern bit...  I ended up skipping using it and just bandsawing and sanding to shape.

dr9UwUZl.jpg

• Like 1

I agree, once again the middle one takes first place.  It's that piece of cherry with all the color in it that makes it.

...scared the crap out of me how it grabbed the piece... It was a pattern bit...  I ended up skipping using it and just bandsawing and sanding to shape.

You were routing uphill.  I learned that one the hard way, too.  And poop fell out of me when it happened.

A pattern bit with top and bottom bearings is a convenient thing to have...just flip the whole thing over when you start approaching uphill grain and rout in the other direction.  Or chuck up a flush trim in the table and a pattern bit in a handheld...or vise versa...or keep swapping out bits on the table.  Whatever it takes to avoid that scenario.  It never ends well.