Anti Fatigue Mats

Mzdadoc

I've picked up a couple of squares from the local 5 Below.  I think I paid $5 for each square.  I double them up, but since my shop is so small, I can get away with just a pair of squares for the entire surface.  (And then I threw the extra one into the trunk of the car, so I'd have something to kneel on when changing the tire.  Just one is not comfortable, but two stacked on top of each other works fine for me.)

If I remember right, the squares are either 30" by 30" or 24" by 24"... been a while so I don't remember the dimensions right away.

It's the same material as the yoga mats, which were the next item I was going to try... but the squares don't have to be unrolled.

I'm picking up a 6' x 4' x 3/4" horse stall mat for less than $25 over the weekend.. It deals with horse's hooves, so it should work quite well, for a long time!

That's a great deal. Horse stall mats are not cheap.

I have a bunch of them around my place.

They are not soft and cushion-y like those puzzle squares. They are dense rubber and apparently indestructible.

They seem to give good insulation from the concrete floor and have a sound dampening effect under a mobile tool like a planer w/stand.

They help me to not dent my furniture parts or marking knife when I inevitably drop them.

The only drawback is that the casters on my shop-vac are not up to going over the edge any more than they able to run over the cord.

But that is a drawback of any mat, and one I got used to working around.

D

The only drawback is that the casters on my shop-vac are not up to going over the edge any more than they able to run over the cord.

But that is a drawback of any mat, and one I got used to working around.

D

Take a look at that Stanley mat pic I posted..the edges are beveled. You can roll right over them...and no tripping hazard

Those mats look exactly like the ones I picked up from walmart, price was pretty decent at the time 18 or 19 dollars. To bad I only bought 1 pack, should got 3 or so but was just starting out trying to figure out why I was so darn sore at the end of the day after wood working.

If I had more the budget I think i go for something more w\ more cushion like the ones that feel like they have gel

How heavy are those, Kev?  Seem pretty durable?  Considering putting one in front of my bench.  I had cheap ones scattered around the shop at one point but they got in the way so much I just tossed 'em in the trash one day.

An update for Eric now that I have a couple..

These are going to be very durable!  The downside is that they're not as "cushy" as the foam ones that interlock.  They do feel good under the feet tho and the size is really nice!  I consider these a nice addition to my shop!

And I spend almost all of my time in the shop barefooted.

Wait wait wait.......did NONE OF YOU pick up on this??????? I don't go barefooted inside my own home for fear of slamming and catching my toe on something and YOU'RE WORKING IN YOUR SHOP BAREFOOTED??? Bubba, you're hard core. 

Tractor Supply has horse stall mats at a good price but like Steve said, I just don't think they're cushioney enough since I don't yet weigh 1000 pounds.  Only problem with Mzdadoc's set up is that the snap together squares give you definite distances between things and like in his case of the picture with the table that has the drain in the floor, the mat is about 8" away from the table so you may have difficulty standing on it while working...you may be able to adjust the table too.  Let us know how they work for you.

May have to check those out then...I don't want "cushy" anyway.  The really soft ones tend to feel like they're tripping you up all the time.  Something that's durable and softer than concrete is what I'm looking for.

Then these should fit your bill perfectly

• 1 month later...

Hey bubba, are they tapered at the end? I want to pick up a bunch, but My concern is that when I sweep, dust would get stuck up against the edges

They are not tapered but in the past I've always lifted them to do a deep sweeping. They do have trim pieces which will help keep dust out of the puzzle pieces.