Anti Fatigue Mats

Mzdadoc

My favorites are horse stall mats.   They're easier to find than you'd think, except maybe in Manhattan... :P

Horse stall mats are dense enough to roll heavy tools, clamp racks, etc...   but just soft enough to make a real difference to the knees and back.  Almost identical products are sold as gym flooring, or to install under home gym equipment, but the farm suppliers are much cheaper than the exercise equipment dealers.   They're easily cut to shape or smaller size with a jigsaw.  They're easy to sweep, and heavy enough to vacuum without them continually getting stuck to the vacuum.

To me, most of the "woodworking" or "shop" mats are too soft, cheaply made, or too light to stay in place.  Bring muscles if you go pick up your own horse mats!

They're hard to find online, but any local Agway, Tractor Supply, etc...  would probably have them.  If all else fails, ask at a local animal hospital or vet.

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard about using horse stall mats many times but never thought they'd be a good solution, but that's because I actually used them in horse stalls at one time.  I remember them being about $60/mat (about 18 years ago) and damn heavy when you needed to move them or drag them outside to clean.  They're also extremely dense - made to support the weight of a horse, not a human.  I suppose they'd provide some insulation from a cold concrete floor but I don't think they'd be that great if you needed joint relief.

My garage shop is just big enough that I can work on some pretty good sized projects but small enough that I need to move things on castor.  I have an old rug in front of my work bench but the rest of the floor is bare.  I'd like to find a better solution but it's working well enough right now.

Since TIODS is giving a bit of a review I'll give mine. See earlier part of post for brand.

I also bought a pair of Nike $80 runners to help cushion. The pieces stay together just fine except where my wife has to drive over them a bit. Also where she drives over them they lost their cush. Nothing fancy but the big thing is no more pain.