Of Fires, too much work, and making wood chips

Scott Bailey

One thing my parents taught me years ago is that insurance is not to pay for your loss. Insurance is to repay you for a portion of what it cost YOU to pay for your losses. Insurance is a false sense of security.

I appreciate that point of view of course, however, without insurance this fire would have put me out of business.  I find that sense of security pretty far from false.  maybe my situation is unique, I certainly see that.

well since we're coming clean here,

I have a black and decker 1/4 sheet sander, jigsaw, circ saw, and cordless drill (that's now dead). 

I have a harbor freight cordless drill

I have a harbor freight miter saw (/ducks)

but.. I have a PC ROS and a Delta Unisaw, so ... it's not all bad!

I'm pretty sure you purchased all those items before deciding to jump to the next level of woodworking.  Those things work just fine for simple home repair and all homeowners should have a basic set of tools.  It's a little different animal when you want to build custom furniture.

I think we all have some relics from the past in our shops.  I have a Ryobi router that I keep a chamfer bit in.  A Craftsman compressor and shop-vac that both refuse to die.  And I have an old Black & Decker jigsaw that I use to carve my mother-in-law's Thanksgiving turkey.

I've had the B/D stuff for years.  actually, the jigsaw works pretty well and so does the circ saw as long as I'm making relatively easy cuts (it doesn't have much power).  the 1/4 sheet does what it's supposed to so no complaints there either, though my hand vibrates for ages after using that monster.  I got the miter saw a couple years ago and for 89 bucks it works remarkably well, I have it tuned pretty well and I use it to rough crosscut pretty much everything I do.  nothing beats a good blade, eh.  the HF cordless drill was a steal at $20, it's been a flawless workhorse, I got that about a year ago when my B/D died.  but it's true that these were pre-"woodworking" purchases, some years ago.

otherwise yes, the delta and ROS were recent purchases as was my craftsman router, which so far I'm happy with. 

I appreciate that point of view of course, however, without insurance this fire would have put me out of business.  I find that sense of security pretty far from false.  maybe my situation is unique, I certainly see that.

I think its just a different up bringing. My old man always said if you can't afford to pay for it twice you can't afford it. 

Lawyers get a bad rap but most that I know are ethical to the point of being annoying... Criminal defense seems like a shady business but it is a check and balance. Full disclosure my wife is an attorney (although she is home with the kids now, I call her my unemployment insurance. If Iose my job at least she has credentials).

people forget that our livelihood is entirely dependent on a code of ethics, which (unlike almost any other profession) is governed by a licensing body, and which we must follow to the letter or risk losing our license.  still some bad apples out there for sure, but most lawyers are ethical to a fault.  where people get twitchy is sometimes a lawyer's ethics conflict with what a person wants (IE information, usually). 

criminal defense is 50% research, 49% negotiation.  that last 1% is what most would consider 'shady' and that typically only appears evident in high profile trials.  plus, sometimes the client demands a trial despite a lawyer's advice that he/she will lose, and at that point the lawyer is obligated to put up the best defense possible.  I did criminal defense work for awhile and I don't anymore for various reasons, but some of the most ethical lawyers I know are criminal defense lawyers.

There is really nothing wrong with most lawyers, they are just an easy target for jokes. My wife is a lawyer and I'm a bar exam away from taking a deal with the devil. Fortunately for me I found woodworking while going to school and chose a different path. Aside from the jokes I'm happy I did as it has provided careers for my kids.

what do you call 1000 lawyers at the bottom of the sea?

a good start!

heh.  when you say 'bar exam' I shudder.  glad I don't ever have to do that again!

Whats the difference between a lawyer and a tic.

Tic falls off when you die.

With the new UBE WA will be flooded, gunna be a minimum wage job before to long.