Square plywood panel

JBM

I'm trying to cut some plywood panels and I want to make sure that they are square. I am using a TS55. I first cut a straight edge, then from that edge I measured 22 inches and made a parallel cut then I cut another line using my best square(not 100% sure it is accurate; like an engineer square) 90 degrees. Then when measure 24 inches to make another cut, I find I'm 1/16 off when I check using the 3-4-5 rule. What am I doing wrong? These panels are vertical panels for an entertainment center and will ride inside dados. Any suggestions on how to fix my problem would be appreciated. Thanks.

I once checked all my squares against each other, then took the best one to the hardware store and started checking framing squares. It was amazing how many were off, even the expensive ones! A mid priced steel square was the closest I could find. It served me well until the Woodpeckers showed up. It was a long wait for the second batch of a one time tool. It has a custom rack that it parks in and gets treated very carefully.

Remember that checking for square to a wavering cut is kinda futile. Clean straight cuts have to come before exactly square corners.

A decent track saw carefully used should deliver a straight cut. Wiggle , shift and let it wobble and all bets are off, still comes down to operator error doesn't it ?

• 2 weeks later...

Just an update. I finally finished my table saw sled and using Marc's 5 cut method. I am now able to make square crosscuts to within .0035. That's good enough for me. Maybe someday when I get a sawstop professional table saw I'll try to make a sled that is more accurate. :)

When I got out of HS I worked at a small tool and die shop, so I kinda understand the whole perfection thing. A lot of our work was + or - 1/10th of a thousandth. When I started wood working that mind set started to kick in. After a few calamities, I realized the wood is a lot more forgiving and it's not that necessary to be "dead on" accurate. Lighten up a little and enjoy the hobby, it'll save you a lot of aggravation. ^_^  

Its good that you've made a sled to get accurate cuts.

On the other hand, I would think that you could pretty easily fix a out of square panel without going to a lot of trouble.  Dry assemble the frame and panel door and see where the panel is causing trouble.  Pop it apart and use a plane or sanding block to knock down the edge that is problematic.

I know its extra work and not ideal, but its a solution.