2015 goals

duckkisser

so im siting down thinking about what i want to do as a wood worker in the new year. what i would love to do beside my normal projects which sadly will slow down just to allow for the changes i plan for in my life.....

i plan on writing 5 tutorials for my web site on how to make or do a skill, something that has not been done to death.  i would also like to create a video for my web site. something simple to just show some small content that is a part of my wood working passion. perhaps a clip showing the construction of a simple turning.    

i also plan on moving into a garage shop which will call for insulation, electrical, dust collection, tool purchase, lights, and 3 pieces of shop furniture. ill be making two separate drawer work benches and a shelf for my miter saw / small cut lumber storage.  

finally i want to start y a annual event where people of different skill bases and passion swamp there work with another passioned maker. 

so what are your goals for the next year? how will you challenge yourself and grow?

• Like 1

I'll hopefully be finishing my workbench by around the start of the new year.  After that will be going down the list of projects my wife and i have come up with so far.  I'm a beginner so each and every piece of this will be a challenge :)

1. platform bed with under storage drawers
  2. blanket chest
  3. new dresser for the wife
  4. computer desk
  5. a variation of the spice holder that marc just posted
  6. router table

Good topic.  I'm debating these details myself the last few days.  I have a ton of shop upgrades I need to tackle.  Boring.  Or a bunch of small projects I've been wanting to scratch off my list.  Or a BIG bucket list project that I've been pushing off for years...that I now have the perfect lumber for.  Challenging and time consuming.  Haven't completely decided yet.

I also have a freaking basement to finish and a deck to rebuild on the "wife's list," and that's bound to cramp my style at some point this year.  Phooey.

I'll hopefully be finishing my workbench by around the start of the new year.  After that will be going down the list of projects my wife and i have come up with so far.  I'm a beginner so each and every piece of this will be a challenge :)

1. platform bed with under storage drawers
  2. blanket chest
  3. new dresser for the wife
  4. computer desk
  5. a variation of the spice holder that marc just posted
  6. router table

i think marc is going to be making a platform bed for himself and his wife.  i think that is what he said in the last podcast episode. so maybe wait on that one then perhaps you can get a step by step.

Good topic.  I'm debating these details myself the last few days.  I have a ton of shop upgrades I need to tackle.  Boring.  Or a bunch of small projects I've been wanting to scratch off my list.  Or a BIG bucket list project that I've been pushing off for years...that I now have the perfect lumber for.  Challenging and time consuming.  Haven't completely decided yet.

I also have a freaking basement to finish and a deck to rebuild on the "wife's list," and that's bound to cramp my style at some point this year.  Phooey.

whats stoping you from doing all of those things? make a list figure out what you need for each project roughly then start with the easist and move up.  im moving into a home and building a shop but im still going to shoot for writing the tutorials i plan on cuting out all the stuff that i dont need like watching tv or siting on the computer playing video games.  going to try and be as focused as much as i can this next year because after that i will have my own home to do with as i like.

i think marc is going to be making a platform bed for himself and his wife.  i think that is what he said in the last podcast episode. so maybe wait on that one then perhaps you can get a step by step.

Part of the fun for me is making the sketchup drawing and then breaking the grand project up into smaller steps.  I'm guessing that part isn't fun for most people, but i enjoy it.  Anyway, I'll be sitting down with the wifey and we'll browse though lots of bed pictures to hopefuly come up with a design that best suites us.  Should be a good time.  I may try to do a few small projects before getting into the bed so that i can have a bit more woodworking experience under my belt.  It'd be nice to have it be a lifetime piece of furniture and not have to look at too many mistakes :)

Great question and something I certainly have been thinking about as I start down this road.  One goal for me is to learn how to better document what I do.  I am so inspired by the group here and how you've generously shared your knowledge with plebes like me.  As I document my experiences I hope other newbies will get some benefit.

As for projects I would like to make something for each of my daughters and I want to make something with my youngest daughter...maybe one in the same project.  My wife has been telling people at church what I am doing and apparently she's taking orders for stuff..oh boy...what trouble has she got me into? :)

whats stoping you from doing all of those things?

Only so many hours in the day my friend.  Between running a business, hanging out at the lumberyard on weekends, and tending to the wife and two little kiddies, shop time is almost non-existent.  The project I really wanna tackle could take 4-6 months I'm guessing.

The only realistic goal I can set is pushing myself to try new and more challenging projects, and to keep working.  Man does time fly by.

My goal is to have my new shop ready to work in complete with AC and Heat by this spring. I have 2 more daughters to build jewelry boxes for (one started and on hold for months). I have gun handles half done, then I'd like to tackle a custom vanity as a house warming gift for my sister in-law who is rebuilding after sandy.

• Like 1

Compete with all the idiots that are underpricing their efforts ! I am determined to maintain my prices and my quality .

Vinny needs to show up with "undercut Steve's prices and corner the Atlanta market". =p

My lofty goals include more shop furniture, a bookshelf for my daughter's room, a play kitchen for her, and a tv stand for the basement. Hopefully I can do some outdoor project in the summer. I like to aim high and rebalance along the way...also as I learn different projects make more or less sense or seem more or less difficult so it's hard to plan too far ahead. =p

Only so many hours in the day my friend.  Between running a business, hanging out at the lumberyard on weekends, and tending to the wife and two little kiddies, shop time is almost non-existent.  The project I really wanna tackle could take 4-6 months I'm guessing.

The only realistic goal I can set is pushing myself to try new and more challenging projects, and to keep working.  Man does time fly by.

Easy enough work later in the day, quite your job, order all your lumber, get a devorce......done and done next on my list world peace.

Some times I have learned you have to fit it in so one way or another I fit 4 hours in the shop every Sunday that's when I tinker that's my for me time and I don't let myself get distracted. But I understand we do what we have to do for day to day life.

Some times I have learned you have to fit it in

I wonder how many more projects we'd all get done if we weren't on this forum all the time? (...as I sit here for over an hour since wife and child went to bed reading the forum and now will probably just go to bed instead of getting something done.)

I wonder how many more projects we'd all get done if we weren't on this forum all the time? (...as I sit here for over an hour since wife and child went to bed reading the forum and now will probably just go to bed instead of getting something done.)

Agreed.  I notice i spend a couple hours on here at a time.  I could definitely use that time in a more productive way, but oh well :)

I only spend glue dry time here....  Honest.....   ;)

I will be working through my list of projects and commissions. At the moment I finish one and another three arrive on the list. Then I also have to do the essential shop projects intended for myself.

I've been doing 1 shop project for every 3 other projects. It seems to work OK and everybody including myself are happy.