Bench Vise Help

FlyinFish

So there was an old bench vise on the old (very crappy) workbench in our house. I got rid of the old bench and wanted to install the vise on my table. It's nothing special, but will be useable for now, and the price was right.

I looked a bit online and didn't really find one like this with only one side having a metal face.

10364184_10102821442563315_5524975157174

10845946_10102821442513415_8962071425028

I went ahead and mounted it on my table, but I have two questions. First - what type of wood should I use for the jaws? I used a piece of maple, but am now thinking I need to use something softer rather than harder to not damage any soft woods. Or, is it a big enough piece that the load from squeezing will be destributed enough?

Second - should I put a second board of the same wood on the side of my table to create the other side of the jaws? Right now the table is a 2x4 with 3/4" ply on top. It's probably pretty smooth, but maybe not totally, I want to make sure I don't damage anything I clamp in there, but don't know if I'm over thinking it.

Ok, one last question - any other things I should do to the wood jaws? Round the endes or leave them flat? Anyt other little basic things I'm missing?

Thanks all for any help!

I'd say yes to making a fixed jaw from maple. A fixed jaw of the same size and shape as the moving jaw is a bit more stable than the arrangement you have now, and a smooth surface is less likely to mar softer parts than is the plywood edge of you table.

Also, some folks like to taper the back edge of the moving jaw down, away from the work piece. That gives some extra knuckle clearance when moving a hand tool across the work.

Fir would be fine.  I would recommend making the fixed jaw the length of your bench, so that the front surface (apron) is all in one plane.  That will allow you to better support long boards.  If you just add a piece where the vise is, the other end of the board will be flopping around and offset from the front plane of the bench by the thickness of the wood.  If you want you can make your apron wider, and add some 3/4" holes, and throw some dowels in there for supporting long boards.  Almost like what is on a Nicholson bench.

I would do this whether you are into hand tools or not.