What finish for a gavel that will be used (not just a display)

rd400guy

Hello all.  I'm very new to woodworking.  I have a small lathe, and have turned a dozen or so projects before taking on my most "prestigious" to date:  a walnut gavel.

I'm also extremely new to wood finishing - most of my earlier woodworking projects either have no finish, a simple coat of oil, or spray polyurethane.

My latest foray into finishing was to put stain and 3 coats of oil based poly on some stairs and a doorway we had installed over the summer - this turned out great.

Back to the gavel - what finish should I apply to a gavel, that's going to be used regularly?  The sounding block we have is a piece of stone (granite or marble, I guess).

I don't want a very "hard" finish that might crack or chip off.  But I do want a finish that will stand up to the use - specifically if a sweaty hand is holding it.  And don't want a finish "soft" enough that it will pick up fingerprints, glove prints, etc.  Lastly, I'd also like it to have a pretty high gloss, that will really show off the piece of walnut I turned it from.

Both the head and handle were sanded to 600 grit.

I'm not as worried about the gavel getting small indentations as a result of being used - it adds character.

The gavel I'm replacing literally has chunks missing out of the face from decades of use.

If this one turns out good, there may be future orders from throughout our district.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

I would just use oil.  Any film-forming finish will be damaged as a result of its use.  Keep rubbing it with a high-grit pad or steel wool while the oil is wet, and you'll get a deep luster out of it.  Reapply oil as needed for the rest of its life.  Easy-peasy.

• Like 1

I would just use oil.  Any film-forming finish will be damaged as a result of its use.  Keep rubbing it with a high-grit pad or steel wool while the oil is wet, and you'll get a deep luster out of it.  Reapply oil as needed for the rest of its life.  Easy-peasy.

I was sort of leaning toward oil, or an oil varnish blend.  My understanding is that the oil varnish blends apply just like oils, with a little more protection.

Thanks for the help.

Some school boards and communities use gavels to call meetings to order and wrap them up.

I second the oil finish.  I'd pick something that is readily available, rather than something that is in a "specialty shop," so the group/individual getting the gavel can apply finish annually on their own.  (Meaning that they will be able to go to any store and find it, or to whatever store they happen to think of.)  Better still, if you can convince them to bring it back to you annually for a "maintenance period" where you check the finish and reapply as necessary, and can eventually offer a replacement when it gets to that.

as for the sounding block, this is the first time I've heard of granite as a block.  Usually, I've seen people use a turned block of wood similar to the gavel.  Gives that distinctive rap sound...

For decorative purposes, you might consider adding a brass ring around the end of the gavel.  Adds character, flair, and the wood will mushroom around it rather than split the gavel.  (At least, that's the thought.)

Well, the head of the gavel isn't round, so the brass ring is out...

It's a common gavel - search that and it should answer all the questions as to where it's going to be used.

That might also clue folks in to why we use a stone sounding block versus a wooden one.

I picked up Watco Danish Oil at the orange depot last weekend.  Seeing as how I waited until December to get to this, it might be a while before I get to actually apply the finish...  probably should've waited to buy it...