Finishing Help

Firehawk

Hi Guys,

I am applying arm-r-seal over cherry die stain on tiger maple.  I have a couple questions.

1. What type of cloth do you use for wiping on the arm-r-seal? I have been using cotton t-shirts and struggling with lint.

2. Are there any suggestions for a top coat over the arm-r-seal. Or should I continue with additional coats of the arm-r-seal.  I am at 4 coats, sanding with 400 grit between coats.  Each coat looks a little better. I am getting impatient with waiting 24 hours between each coat.

Thanks,

Mark

I always use t-shirts and haven't had the lint problem.  Not sure what to tell you there.

You really don't need to wait 24 hours between coats provided you're applying the finish in a warm area.  I try to hold my shop between 65 and 70 and will sand and apply another coat every 5 hours or so..

Fold the tee shirt into a nice pad keeping the edges that are coming apart folded in. 

Keep on rocking with the Armrseal don't change a thing. 24 hours between coats is better than 6 hours between coats.

As to the getting impatient thing. Think of it like sex, the longer it takes, the better it gets  :P Think of it like this...you took your time and thought the project out, cut by cut. Now you want to rush the most important part?  <_< 

-Ace-

I can understand feeling impatient during the finishing stage.  Prior to this you were able to stay active in the project. Even if the progress was slow, it was still visible progress with limited down time.  At the finishing stage you're so close to being done but the process consists mostly of idle time where you have no choice but to walk away and leave the project sit alone.  It is rather detaching in comparison to the time you were able to spend engaged in the project during the building phase.