End Grain Cutting Boards...and the saga continues

Snibley

This is my first attempt at these types of boards...actually any type of cutting board. My inspiration on these was the TWW site. I was put on to the site by some of my friends through Facebook and have used it for many things as I frequently go back to it for ideas and such, and came across the cutting board segment. I liked the design and thought I give it a try and see what all the hoopla was about. I made 5 boards all various sizes 3 of rock Maple and Walnut (shown) and 2 that were Cherry and Maple. The Cherry did give me some grief as one of them started to bow (posted in "the wood-cutting board bowing") in which many suggestions came forward and some of which I believe helped sort it out...at least enough that I could give it away anyway . On the board in the picture I also put in some lasering and some silicone feet...(can't really see them that well),  just for and added touch. I finshed it with WATCO Butcher block varnish, it went on nice, little smell and fast drying time...only time will tell how well it lasts.

post-16534-0-07024400-1418845943_thumb.j

post-16534-0-33328400-1418846189_thumb.j

• Like 1

Looks great. Love the laser etching idea.

I made a couple of end grain boards last week. I had one joint that split at one part of it, it was a starved glue joint at the end of the board. We all have some issues with projects that we must overcome at some point or another. I wound up masking around the split, then using a plastic glue knife and an acid brush filled it with titebond III and clamped the hell out of it. Scraped the glue off the top and resanded my boards. I made the mistake of rinsing them off after they had been coated with mineral oil a few times and it raised the grain. Wound up resanding them last night. The mineral oil and wood loaded the paper real fast, kept cleaning the paper with a gum eraser on my ROS. I made some mineral oil and beeswax finish last night to put on the boards. Coated them real well and let it sit for the day and will buff them off later. The beeswax adds a nice level of protection to the board when dried. Seals up better too. 

What kind of laser engraver do you have?